This is a Grade II* listed War Memorial.
It was made in 1925, by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott. Portland stone with bronze plaques. Eleanor Cross type.
Octagonal 3-stage plinth, the centre and upper stages surrounded by rectangular bronze plaques with names of the fallen in raised lettering, and the upper stage with re-entrants on the south and north sides, the south lettered: REMEMBER THE MEN OF WIGAN WHO GAVE / THEIR LIVES TO THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918 / AND THE SECOND WORLD WAR 1939-1945 and also FALKLANDS WAR 1982. High octagonal pillar with panelled sides, triangular shafts to the corners carried up to wreath-bearing figures between the windows of an elaborately and delicately traceried lantern with a corona and apex cross.
Curved triangular memorial garden surrounded by dwarf walls with chamfered coping and dwarf quatrefoiled iron railings; entrances at corners flanked by lamp standards on octagonal plinths. Forms group with Church of All Saints.
The north side has a wise saying comprising 8 words on the first line and 7 words on the second line.
The cache can be found at N53 32.85A W002 38.11B
A = The number of letters in the 7th word + 8th word on the first line - 2.
B = The number of letters in the 3rd word + 4th word on the second line.
***** PLEASE NOTE IMPORTANT *****
CACHES ARE NOT ALLOWED TO BE PLACED ON ACTUAL MEMORIALS OR WITHIN THE BOUNDARY OF SUCH
AT ALL TIMES PLEASE TREAT LOCATIONS OF MEMORIALS WITH RESPECT