Do you ever want to give something back to the environment, the outdoors and repay those that enable you to spend time in the outdoors?
Do you like remote places?
If you can answer yes to one of the above, then why not come along to the CITO event at Greensykes in Dumfries and Galloway.
So what is a CITO event ?
At CITO events, geocachers and community groups work together to improve parks and other outdoor environments. They clean up litter, plant trees, remove invasive species, build trails, and more.
What will happen here?
This weekend at Greensykes, we can help maintain the bothy in a number of ways:
(1) A litter sweep around the bothy grounds, removing any litter.Litter will need to be carried out.
(2) Removal of any waste / litter from inside the bothy and then carrying it out.
(2) Chopping up of a number of palates which can then be used as firewood for future bothy users.
(3) Mowing the lawn in front of the bothy.
(4) Harvesting of rhubarb which has been grown in site.
(5) Checking all hinges to make sure that they are secure, and there no loose screws.
The list may be longer, as per the needs of the maintenance officer at the bothy.
What will I need?
(1) A pair of sturdy gloves.
(2) A rubbish bag, which you are prepared to carry back out with you.
(3) A willingness to dispose of the rubbish in a sensible manner, and in an appropriate location.
(4) Sensible footwear.
(5) A sense of humour.
Who shall I report to?
Please when you arrive report to the event organiser (Hillgorilla), who will then advise you what needs done.
For how long to I need to help out?
The event will start at 0800 and finish at 0900. Please come prepared to spend at least an hour helping out. If you want to spend a longer time, then it is up to you.
The location is not accessible by car or motorbike.
You need to be prepared for a long walk in and out to the location.
Remember you will be carrying more weight out with you on the way out.
Be aware of your own safety at the location.
Please follow what instructions you are given by the Event Organiser.
You will need to bring some food to feed yourself, but there will be a free brew and biscuit.
Yes it is an open shelter, but come prepared with a tent in case there is not enough room inside, if you plan to stay overnight.
You are making the decision to walk up here, if you are unable to walk beyond 3km, then this event is not for you.You need to be able to look after yourself in a remote location.