Oh my goodness! Can it be another holiday season already? Since it is...you know what that means!!! Yep! Time for another gift exchange. I know that we've done the White Elephant Gift Exchange in years previous. This year we're going to mix it up a bit! That's right! We're going to have a Micro Container Gift Exchange!
You do not have to participate in the gift exchange to log the event as a find, but if you do wish to participate in the gift exchange, please follow these rules. Read the following instructions carefully, so that no one is disappointed...
Micro Container Gift Exchange (Participation is OPTIONAL):
1) Prior to coming to the event, we would like you to hide a gift (never-to-be published Christmas Cache) to be exchanged with another geocacher somewhere within 10 miles of the Hagerstown, MD. The gift can be whatever you like... gift card, unactivated geocoins, TB dog tags, swag items, cache containers, etc. Please use your own judgement in selecting your gift items and make sure that they are under 20 dollars in value. You may place your gift items in an inexpensive cache container (i.e., Tupperware, Christmas tin, etc.) and hide it to be found later that day. You may fill the container with Christmas cookies or candy to take up any left over space in the container, but make sure your gift container is weather resistant and critter-proof. Don't forget to mark a waypoint for your hidden gift for step 2.
2) Bring a micro container (Bison tube, 35mm film canister, nano...etc.) to the flash mob event if you are participating in the exchange. Inside the container please place a slip of paper with the coordinates of the Christmas Cache you hid for another cacher to find. In addition, it would be a good idea to write your geocaching name and cell phone number on the paper, just in case the Christmas seeker needs a phone-a-friend to find their Christmas Cache.
3) At the event, the micro containers will be placed in a bowl and mixed up. Everyone who places a container in the bowl will then be able to randomly choose another container from the bowl. For those families with multiple cachers, you may bring more than container but there needs to be a separate Christmas Cache hidden for each container placed in the bowl or someone will be disappointed. Containers will be exchanged PROMPTLY at 10:00 AM!!! If you want to participate please plan on being here earlier than that to sign the log, place your micro and then draw a new one.
4) After the Micro Container Gift Exchange, we will all sign the event log and take a group photo. If you want to wear something for the holiday, your favorite Christmas sweaters or scarves are fine. Feel free to wear Santa hats, Elf suits or reindeer antlers if you want.
5) After the group photo, the event will be over and you may disperse to go find your Christmas Cache!!! Remember... the entire cache is yours to keep, including the container; so make sure you take everything with you after the hunt. These containers are not to be left behind or published as a regular cache.
6) When you log the event as attended, please thank the cacher who hid your Christmas Cache for the gift. You may share what your Christmas Cache contained if you like and feel free to post pictures of the Christmas Cache, too. You can even post a picture of the hiding spot, since this is not a regular cache hide.
You can be as creative as you want in hiding your Christmas Cache. You can make it a traditional type cache, or you can make it a puzzle-cache or multi-cache to make the hunt more fun. Use your imagination!
Remember... the Micro Container Gift Exchange will last ONE HOUR...not a moment later...so don't be late!
Email me if you have any questions concerning the rules.
Why YOU, of course...whether you have one cache find or a thousand cache finds, please feel free to come join us for a small meet and greet.
Saturday, December 14th, 2019
9:00 AM - 10:00 AM
11564 Hopewell Road
Hagerstown, MD 21740
To eat delicious food, talk geocaching, and trade bugs. Those who wish to may also do some geocaching before or after the event.
Extra things to keep in mind:
- If you pick up a Travel Bug or trackable coin at one of the events, make sure you log it out so it doesn't show up in the events list. If a trackable sits as being listed in the event for a couple of months, the cache owner is the one that gets the e-mail from the TB owner(s).
- Each person attending will be responsible for any costs incurred for food and drinks.
- AC&T accepts cash, debit and credit cards. Please prepare accordingly.
FTF honors go to ??? Congratulations!!!