Sunday, July 19th, 2020
11am to 4pm
Cache Across Maryland is an annual geocaching tour of the state of Maryland. Ten new geocaches have been placed in various locations throughout the ‘Old Line State’. To attend this event, you must find all ten caches. Be aware that CAM participants logged an average of 1000 miles on their trek around the state last year. The ten CAM caches are generally rated no higher than 2/2 on the ‘star scale’. No special equipment will be needed to find any of the caches. From Western Maryland to the Eastern Shore, Cache Across Maryland 2020 will demonstrate that Maryland truly is ‘America in Miniature’.
THE LISTED COORDINATES
The listed event coordinates are invalid. Each cache will give you information crucial to determining the correct coordinates of the event location. As the date of the event draws near, a method for decoding the event coordinates will be posted here on this event page and on the MGS website. Be sure to add this event to your Watch List to receive updates and announcements.
The process for participation in CAM:
1. You do not need to be an MGS member to participate in CAM. CAM cache listings, gpx files, CAM Passport and other information will be available for download from the MGS Forums around 8.00am on Saturday, March 14th. The MGS Forum is the only place to find the information until the caches are officially published on geocaching.com on or after July 19th.
2. Find the ten caches placed around the state. Each CAM 2020 cache contains a means of verification – don't forget to make note of all the codes! Sign the cache's log book and make a trade if you wish. Please refrain from leaving travel bugs in CAM caches.
3. Once you have found all ten CAM caches, submit your CAM Completion Form. The link to the CAM Completion Form will be posted in the CAM 2020 Information thread. This is the only way we are able to determine who receives certificates and geocoins. Please submit your completion form as soon as you complete CAM.
4. A week before the picnic, a decoder will be provided to allow you to determine the secret picnic location using your CAM Passport. The picnic event will be held somewhere in Maryland.
5. Bring your favorite potluck dish and your completed CAM Passport to the picnic on Sunday, July 19th at 11.00am. Post on the CAM 2020 Picnic Food List to let us know what food item(s) you intend to bring.
6. You may log the individual CAM 2020 caches you have found, and this event, on or after the picnic date of July 19th. Feel free to join us in our CAM Forums and share your experiences with the cache hiders before that date.
7. Vote for your favorite CAM cache when the 2020 Favorite CAM Cache Poll posts on the forums.
Validate your CAM Picnic coordinates with certitude.
(Be aware that the ‘drag and drop link to toolbar’ feature
will not work because this is an event, not a puzzle.)
The picnic schedule:
11am–Noon: Registration, eat, mingle, complete Icebreaker
Noon–12.30: Awards and announcements
12.30: Group photo
1.00: Bonus caches publish
1.00–3.30: Caching and other activities
3.30–4.00: Picnic clean-up
DISCLAIMER: Searching for any of these caches and participation in this event is done at your own risk. The Maryland Geocaching Society and its individual members can not be held responsible for any injury or damage to property. Please obey all park rules, especially hours of operation, entrance fees, and parking restrictions.
Join us on March 14th for one of our optional kick-off events:
- GC8GPVX – North: Abingdon – hosted by CodyHollowFarm
- GC8GPVW – West: Hagerstown – hosted by lpyankeefan and AL's Guide
- GC8JXJ5 – Central: Columbia – hosted by lpaulriddle
- GC8GPVZ – South: Waldorf – hosted by tazscouter
- GC8GPVY – East: Salisbury – hosted by Pyro1970 and pegasusmoon
Lists of caches from previous CAMs are available: