It was built by the Midland Railway on the line originally opened in 1839 by the Midland Counties Railway. This line is now part of the Midland Main Linebetween Loughborough and Long Eaton
The station opened on 17 February 1868 with a service of four trains in each direction each day
It lay a mile and a half from the village, nearer to Sutton Bonington in the neighbouring county of Nottinghamshire and closed in 1960.
The station buildings remain, extended, and in use as The Old Hathern Station Bed and Breakfast.