The Treaty of Aachen was signed in 1748, to end the war of Austrian Succession, which involved France, Prussia, Spain, and several Germanic and Italian provinces against Great Britain, Austria, and Russia, as well as other Italian and Germanic provinces.
This is a commemorative column, c.1750 erected by Sir Hugh Smithson at Stanwick Park, North Yorkshire, to commemorate the Peace of Aachen of 1748 and re-erected by Robert Edleston in 1923 in the grounds of Edleston House, Gainford. Sandstone ashlar. Tall, Roman Doric column on square-plan pedestal with moulded plinth and cornice. Column supports square-plan plinth and-stepped base (which formerly supported a statue, now destroyed). The column cannot be reached on foot, so viewing from the churchyard is the best option,and from where the final co-ordinates can be obtained, using the gravestone of Robert Hogg, which is by the churchyard wall, nearest the column.
The final location is N54 32.ABC W001 44.DEF
A = letters in 2nd word, 1st line
B = How many other people are mentioned on the headstone ?
C = How many first names does the wife have listed ?
D = Number of letters in the last word ?
E = Total number of lines, - 3 ?
F = How many words in the last two lines, , - 3 ?
Checksum = 26
***** PLEASE NOTE IMPORTANT *****
CACHES ARE NOT ALLOWED TO BE PLACED ON ACTUAL MEMORIALS OR WITHIN THE BOUNDARY OF SUCH
AT ALL TIMES PLEASE TREAT LOCATIONS OF MEMORIALS WITH RESPECT