Many thanks to dirdyweeker for help with maintaining this cache.
This cache belongs to the SideTracked series. It is not designed to take you to a magical place with a breath taking view. It's a distraction for the weary traveller, but anyone else can go and find it too. More Information can be found on the SideTracked Series website at www.sidetrackedseries.info https://www.sidetrackedseries.info
The station was designed by Murdoch Paterson and built by the Sutherland & Caithness Railway and the line opened in 1874. A wrought-iron turntable, 14m in diameter, was installed at the station along with an engine shed capable of housing four engines and a special loading bank for the loading of herring for the southern markets.
On 1 July 1903, the Wick & Lybster Light Railway opened, and Wick became a junction station. The last trains to Lybster ran in 1944, although the line did not officially close until 1951.
Until 2000, trains from Inverness would split in half at the Georgemas Junction, nr Halkirk. One portion went to Wick and the other to Thurso. This practice ended when Class 158s were introduced on the line. Now all services run between Inverness and Wick via Thurso, in both directions.
The cache is a small blue lid tube. Please watch out for muggles as the cache is just off a popular path.