The original church of St Barnabas was built between 1892 and 195 by WH Wood and was destroyed by fire on the 7th December 1992. The fire was attributed to an act of arson and by 6:30am on that morning, there was very little left of the red brick and sandstone church which was once famous for it locally crafted wood panels and stained glass.
The fire was so bad that only the outer walls and the tower remained. The remains were demolished in 1993
In front of the church the outline of the old tower and walls can still be seen and on the right, part of the old south aisle wall still stands.