History of the Station.
Following the involvement of the United States in World War II, the British and USA governments agreed that the British Government would provide port and airfield facilities and in return, the USA would supply the British with arms. An airfield was constructed just to the north of the village of Grafton, originally as a satellite airfield to the one nearby at Polebrook, and intended to be available in the event of Polebrook becoming unserviceable due to enemy action. Built by George Wimpey & Company Limited, in 1941, improvements were made throughout the period of WWII. The airfield covered approximately 500 acres and during its construction two avenues of trees were destroyed along with many hedgerows, as well as the buildings of Rectory Farm and Grafton Lodge Farm. The airfield was bisected by the Grafton to Brigstock Road and, traveling north, the site of the airfield itself is to the left with the living and domestic areas to the right. Full use was made of the natural woodland for camouflage. The living area consisted mainly of wood and canvas hut constructions, the more permanent buildings being brick-built mess halls and clubs. The whole site accommodated up to 3,000 personnel and had all the facilities needed, including a hospital, cinema, and chapel.
More details can be found on the 384th groups web site Click here.
***** PLEASE NOTE IMPORTANT *****
CACHES ARE NOT ALLOWED TO BE PLACED ON ACTUAL MEMORIALS OR WITHIN THE BOUNDARY OF SUCH
AT ALL TIMES PLEASE TREAT LOCATIONS OF MEMORIALS WITH RESPECT