Anniesland Station was opened by the North British Railway in 1874 and was known as Great Western Road Station. It was renamed Anniesland in 1931. One of the difficulties with Great Western Road was the width of the railway bridge, so a new bowstring lattice girder bridge was installed in 1930 when the road was widened.The line was electrified in 1960.
The Ascot Cinema opened in 1939, and was the last cinema in Scotland to be built before WW2. The auditorium seated 1900 and was lit with constantly changing coloured lights. It was renamed the Gaumont in 1950, then became the Odeon in 1964. It closed as a cinema in October 1975 and became for a while the County Bingo Club.The building closed in 1998 and demolition began in 2001. The facade has been kept, and modern flats built behind it.
About SideTracked Caches
This cache belongs to the SideTracked series. It is not designed to take you to a magical place with a breath taking view. It's a distraction for the weary traveller, but anyone else can go and find it too. More Information can be found on the SideTracked Series website at www.sidetrackedseries.info
CONGRATULATIONS TO TheWents FOR BEING FTF