An educational seminar on location types, formats and datums!
I thought I would kick off 2021 with a community event to present an overview of location representations and formats applicable to geocaching. I am certainly no expert on this topic, but I did assist our department/function with the recent transition from GDA94 to GDA2020. At the time, I prepared a small slide pack and presented to my peers, and realised that a lot of this topic is applicable to the geocaching community.
When: Wednesday 20th January from 7:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Where: Regent Room at the Box Factory Community Centre, 59 Regent St South, Adelaide SA 5000.
Audience: This session is aimed at those with little-some knowledge of coordinate data, location theory, and different formats of representing locations.
- Coordinate systems:
- Geographic coordinate system; and
- Projected/map/grid coordinate system;
- Global vs local geodetic datum; and
- Specific datums: AGD 1966, 1984; and GDA 1994, 2020; and
- Other representations:
- Military grid;
- Plus codes; and
- This event has a COVID-Safe plan lodged with the SA Government (COVID-Safe Plan No. 9209130);
- The CO event host will be the COVID-19 Marshal (Certificate No. 7745537);
- All attendees will be expected to note their contact details for traceability purposes only; and
- Hand sanitiser will be available.
This event has also been organised on behalf of Geocaching SA Inc.