Bring a camera and enjoy a 360 view of the Batchawana area from atop this old fire-tower mountain. The view of the changing colours in Sept/Oct is fabulous. Depending on the type of vehicle you have, your willingness to have it scratched, and the recent weather, you could have up to a 5 kilometre hike. When the cache was placed, someone had recently driven to within 50 metres of the cache. However the last 3 km is an overgrown road so expect some scratches on your 4x4. Whereever you park, please don't block any roads.
Canadian topographic maps for this cache are 41 N/1 and 41 K/16. I can email you a cache-map (800Kb) of the area if you send me a request (Scavenger@spamex.com).
Turn right off Highway 17 North at "Mile 38 Road" (see #1 below). Follow this road about 7 km, until you reach the fork at (#2). Take the left fork and follow the road up past the "Acid Rain Monitoring Station" at (#3). Continue up the road until fork at (#4). Take right fork and continue until fork at (#5). We parked here ( for a 5 km hike), but a 4x4 could easily continue on if the creek isn't high. Take the right fork and continue for 2 km until a less-obvious fork at (#6). You could park your 4x4 here if you don't want it scratched. Take the right fork onto the over-grown road and continue for 3 km to fire tower. Enjoy the view.
The cache is a blue rubbermaid container (14"x9"x4"), which is wrapped in a green garbage bag. Please conceal it well when you put it back and please don't leave food in the cache. If the cache needs maintenance, please email me (Scavenger@spamex.com). Thx.
Coordinate reference points from description (WGS84)
- - N 46 55.896 - W 084 26.153
- - N 46 57.895 - W 084 22.348
- - N 47 01.950 - W 084 22.798
- - N 47 02.260 - W 084 23.313
- - N 47 02.611 - W 084 23.244
- - N 47 03.466 - W 084 22.905
Cache initially contained:
- Log book
- Mechanical pencil & spare leads
- 3-pack of Maxfli golf balls
- Soo Greyhound watch
- Royal Bank keychain
- Two Carabiners
- Mini multi-tool keychain in metal case
- Canadian GeoCoin #0452 (log at www.geocoins.ca)
- Cache cards for those far from home
- Folding binoculars (please leave in cache so others can enjoy the view)