This is a virtual, log anywhere cache. Locate an active quarry and photograph evidence of operation – view of pit without trespassing, front gate, rail car loading area with gravel piles etc. The cache coordinates are to be where you took the picture.
N 36 21.747 W 78 21.163
The example photos are of the Vulcan Materials Greystone Quarry near Henderson, NC. This is the viewing parking area where you can look down into the pit. I loved the blasting schedule procedures posted on the fence by the viewing area. At the parking area was a slab of the greystone (metamorphosed granite) in which the history of the site was etched. It’s inscription explains that the quarry has been in continuous operation since the mid 1800’s (no wonder it such a great big hole!) Stone from here has been used as dimension (building) stone and as gravel.
- To log your visit the log must include a picture of you, evidence that it is an active quarry, and your GPS (all in the same picture). Be sure to upload your picture within 48 hours of posting your find.
- Log the coordinates, (nearest) city and state location of the quarry.
- YOUR LOG WILL BE DELETED WITHOUT NOTICE IF THE ABOVE TWO RULES ARE NOT FOLLOWED.
- Log any history or details about the quarry that you are aware of.
- You may only log this cache once and a particular quarry can only be logged by the first finder.
- Make sure your find has not already been found by checking the cache log entries for recent finds.