Skip to content

<

[01] Le Dolmen de la Grotte aux Fées

A cache by ipln Send Message to Owner Message this owner
Hidden : 08/27/2021
Difficulty:
1 out of 5
Terrain:
1 out of 5

Size: Size:   micro (micro)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:



[01] Le Dolmen de la Grotte aux Fées

par ipln  |  GC9FJQE  |  Saint-Antoine-du-Rocher



Situé sur la commune de Saint-Antoine du Rocher, le Dolmen de la Grotte aux Fées date de plus de 4000 ans (Néolithique). Il servit probablement de tombe à de nombreuses familles de chefs de tribus.

Le dolmen mesure 11 mètres de long sur 4,50 mètres de largeur et 3 mètres de haut, et pèse environ 88 tonnes . Il est composé de douze pierres. La dalle de couverture du milieu mesure 1,80 mètres d'épaisseur et pèse à elle seule 40 tonnes.

Selon la légende locale, trois fées auraient bâti l'édifice en une nuit. Et si l'on s'avisait d'en déplacer les pierres, celles-ci reprendraient leur place dans la nuit. Une autre tradition veut que les fées aient élu domicile à l'intérieur du dolmen.

L'ensemble mégalitihique est classé au titre des Monuments Historiques le 18 avril 1914, et le site de la Grotte aux Fées a été inscrit par arrêté en 1943.



Located in the town of Saint-Antoine du Rocher, the "Dolmen de la Grotte aux Fées" dates back more than 4,000 years (Neolithic). It probably served as a grave for many families of tribal chiefs.

The dolmen is 11 meters long by 4.50 meters wide and 3 meters high, and weighs about 88 tons. It is composed of twelve stones. The middle cover slab is 1.80 meters thick and weighs 40 tons on its own.

According to local legend, three fairies would have built the building in one night. And if one were to move the stones, they would resume their place in the night. Another tradition is that the fairies take up residence inside the dolmen.

The megalithic complex is classified as a Historic Monument on April 18, 1914, and the site of the Cave of the Fairies was registered by order in 1943.


Additional Hints (Decrypt)

[FR] Ha pynffvdhr / [EN] N pynffvp bar

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M
-------------------------
N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below, and vice versa)