Church Micro 2570...Shepreth
Parish Church. C12 chancel arch, c.1200 nave, C13 South aisle and C14-C15 West Tower. Restored extensively in 1870, including north and south walls ano fenestration of nave. West Tower C14-C15. Dressed clunch with some Barnack limestone and flint flushwork in the plinth and buttresses. Spire removed and tower much remodelled and repaired in 1774. Pyramidal roof. West window of Ketton limestone, restored in C14-C15 style with vertical tracery. Nave of c.1200 origin with repairs of 1370. North wall of gault brick with slate roof. C13 style fenestration but a c.1200 north doorway reinstated. Two centred arch of two chamfered orders, the outer order is on columns with one capital carved with volutes and the other with foliate ornament. The south aisle was narrowed by three feet in 1774. The chancel was repaired in 1777. The walls are now rendered and the roof is C19. Inserted in the north wall of the tower is a late C17 or early C18 headstone. Inside: C14-C15 tower arch. Two centred arch of two chamfered orders, the outer continuous and the inner on half octagonal responds with moulded capitals and bases. South arcade of c.1200. Four bays and part of a fifth bay presumably removed when the tower was built. Two centred arches of two hollow moulded orders on piers of quatrefoil section and moulded capitals. Two of the- bases are unmoulded suggesting another alteration to the church. The chancel arch, C12, is round headed and on the west side has a roll moulding on angle shafts with capitals, one carved with volutes and an abacus with chamfered lower edge. Inserted south of the chancel arch is a C13 trefoil arch of clunch roll moulded, probably used a squint opening from a south chapel to the chancel. Another C13 opening, blind, on North side has been partly removed by the C19 north wall of the nave. North wall of chancel has monument to John Layer (c.1586 - 1640) the antiquarian. The pulpit is early C17 of oak on modern base and there are some C15-C16 enriched poppy head finials, reset on modern bench ends. The font, C13 has an octagonal bowl with volutes at the corner on central stem and four supports at the corners.
This is a traditional cache and IS at the published coordinates.
The cache is a 5ml tube.