There is a good chance this cache has gone missing. A couple of attempts to locate it by its intended recipient were unsuccessful, and the area has since been reported has having been bulldozed. If you are successful at locating the cache, please retrieve it and contact me so I can send you info on how to ship it to me. (I will pay for shipping.) If no one finds it by the end of March I will archive this cache.
We recently finished reading this really interesting book called The Art of Shen Ku by Zeek, which is a compilation of information the author collected during 40 years of travels around the world. Topics are hand-illustrated and include emergency survival, first aid, navigation skills, medical remedies, family matters, basic repairs, and more. We liked the book so much that after we were done we found it only fitting that the book should now travel the world and dispense its information back out. We have made this a traveling cache centered on this book.
The cache contains a copy of The Art of Shen Ku, which you can feel free to flip through or sit back and read, but it is not an item for trade and must stay with the cache. There are several other items in the cache that are available for trade-- initial contents include a new eyeglass repair kit, home design software, a QuickCam, and other small items.
If you do not wish to move the cache you can still feel free to visit it as a normal cache and leave the cache where it is hidden. Should you decide to move the cache, please follow these placement guidelines:
That's it for the rules. Hope you enjoy the book, and have fun!
- When you take the cache, locate or place a large rock as close to the cache site as possible and use the pencil contained in the cache to write the letter "G" on the exposed surface of this rock. This will alert later visitors that the cache has been moved.
- You must log your find online within 24 hours of retrieving the cache and state in your log entry that the cache is in your possession.
- Leave the Shen Ku book in the cache when you re-hide it.
- The cache must be hidden in a new location-- and a log entry containing the new coordinates and terrain/difficulty ratings must be posted below-- within no more than 5 days after the date you retrieved the cache. (We want to keep this circulating, so if you can't help us do that then please don't move the cache.)
- The new location must be at least 1.5/1.5 in terrain/difficulty but must not be more than 2.5/2.5. We don't want it out in the open but we do want those seeking it to be able to find it easily.
- If you want to provide a hint for the new location, email it to me and I will post it. Also if the "G on a rock" marker won't work at your new location, please email me an alternate marker method for your location so that I can update the cache page.
- A reasonable time after someone else moves the cache from the new location where you have hidden it, please return to the site where you placed it to clean up any damage and remove the marker left behind by the last visitor.
(Parental Notice: A few pages of the book provide information on topics that may lead to uncomfortable questions if your children read them, so keep this in mind when choosing to hunt this cache. :) )
Mar 22, 2004 - NEW MISSION: The cache needs to find its way to Adams Park in Kennesaw, GA. The park is located roughly near N34°1.380' W84°37.190'. Once it is hidden here, do not post the coordinates online. Email them to me along with a description of the hiding place that would let someone without a GPS find it. Thanks!