Thanks for enjoying the beach with us!
(11:00 am Saturday / Raindate: Sunday the 24th)
(Just an hour from Manhattan or Springfield, MA off of I-95.)
There is a nominal parking charge of $5 (or park free at Silver Sands state park and bike/walk over [aside from the beach, a trail connects the two]).
- Cache between here and Silver Sands S.P. (now at least 10 caches)
- Bike, swim, fly a kite and/or sun-bathe
- Accuracy event with GPS-verified Benchmark: N 41 11.895 W 073 3.992
- Low-tide walk out to "Capt. Kidd" cache on Charles Island
- Kids cache coords: N 41 11.679 W 073 04.793
- Several new caches will be placed nearby for the event (see below)
- Share in the history of Silver Sand's state park, nearly 50 years in the making!
- Find out who the Chicken Lady was
- Facilities include: few tables/pavilions, permanent rest rooms, life guards, ice cream truck, fishing pier
- More Charles Island/Beach info and pics
One of the features of this event will be accessing Quiddler's unique cache: Captain Kidd's Treasure
This cache may only be accessed during low-tide (or boat), which will be at 3:45 on August 23rd.
This is another low-key food plan, everyone please bring something to share (we'd prefer to focus on the caching and activities!) (Anyone want to volunteer for grilling duties? How about "official photographer"?)
There are only a half-dozen, separated tables and pavilions, so please bring folding tables and chairs.
I'm sorry, but no pets or alcohol permitted at the beach...
8/15: Today we placed a couple temporary and three new permanent caches for the event, so there are now at least eight caches to hunt within a half-mile (along with the pre-existing: Capt. Kidd's Treasure, Quick Silver, Go Fly a Kite and Chicken Lady)!
8/18: The temporary caches have become permanent and Skytrek has placed a couple more, bringing the total up to 10!
8/22: Easiest way from parking at Silver Sands SP to Walnut Beach, go past CATB#2 on the defunct road, turn left at the "T", bear right to the parking lot, find us at the far end.
8/23: Thanks to all the attendees (that's YOU)--as it's the people that make an event! Thanks to my co-conspirators, er, I mean co-coordinators, the CT Trampers for pulling this one off. I did some preplanning, but they were busy at the crack of dawn today, all the way past sunset! I roughly counted 51 individuals on the sign-up sheet, plus other family members and non-signers probably means at least 60 attendees! Thanks for joining us, see you at the next one... --Randy, Al, Carol and Tom
Here's the graph of the accuracy event. Each dot is where an individual's GPSr believed the benchmark to be located.