Warning! Please do not leave travelbug & coins in the cache! Don't safe, sorry! Kérlek ne hagyj utazót a dobozban, mert másik játéktéren is regisztrálva van a doboz – így az utazó avatatlan kezekbe kerülhet!
Construction of the castle begun after 1318 by Máriássy family. In the beginning it served the defence of merchant roads along river Sajó. In 1352 it became property of the infamous Bebek family, who built it into a huge fortification. Bebeks even minted their own money, making coins out of church bells robbed from nearby villages. Later Krasznahorka belonged to Hussites until finally Péter Andrássy took hold of it in 1580. He built it into even stonger, the castle became an important fortification withstanding Turkish invasion. In 1642 Andrássy family received it and the belonging estates from the king and they owned it for the next 300 years.
As an exception, this castle was not ruined by the Habsburg after the fight for freedom (during which the castle was inhabited by Ferenc Rákóczi II. leader to Hungarian freedom fighters, the "kuruc") . In 1817 a thunderbolt burnt it almost into ruins, but it was then rebuilt. Today the castle is a museum (the main attraction being a mummified female body in the chapel), which can be visited in every one or two hours with a guide. You have to pay for taking photos.
Parking is below the castle (in summer also for money).