SBUX 43 - Right in the heart of D'town
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
This cache has been hidden with the (very much appreciated) help of How Did I Get Here. . .
Doylestown is named after the Doyle family. The Doyle family originally came from France (their name was D'ouilli at that time), but moved to Ireland during the Inquisition. Around 1600 their name was changed to D'oyley and later it was changed again to Doyle. Edward Doyle sailed to America in 1640 and lived in Rhode Island for a time until he then moved to Bucks County after receiving a land grant from William Penn in 1692. He died in 1703.
Edward Doyle's children remained in Bucks County and settled in the area of Doylestown. In 1730 Edward Doyle Junior (born 1690) bought 150 acres of land in what is now Doylestown. Further land purchases were made in the area by the Doyle family in 1737. The Doyles built an inn in 1745 and the town was known early on as "William Doyl's Tavern" and "Doyle's Town." In 1752 a second tavern was built, which still stands today (although modified from its original state). In 1776 the inn was sold by William Doyle (born in 1712, son of Edward Doyle Junior), who moved to Plumstead, Bucks County, where he died in 1780. After the sale of the tavern the town became known by its present name.
The place where the cache is hidden is called the Fountainhouse, originally known as William Doyle's Tavern, built around 1752. In the past the inn had also been known as "Fox Chase" and "Brower's Hotel." The inn once had a well in front, but in 1872 the well was changed to a fountain and the name of the tavern was changed to the "Fountainhouse" which is the name it is still known by today. The roof (known as a French Mansard Roof) with the five windows is not the original and was added to the structure in 1873.
Interestingly, the tavern changed hands several times soon after the sale by William Doyle in 1776. William Doyle sold the tavern to Daniel Hough, who subsequently re-sold the tavern a day later to Richard Swanwick. Swanwick held the tavern for a little under two years until May, 1778, when it was discovered that he had joined the British Army. He was arrested for "High Treason" and his land and the inn were confiscated. The tavern was then sold to the highest bidders, Joseph and Samiel Flack, in August 1779. The inn has had multiple owners since that time. In 1971 the inn became a bank, Girard Bank, which then became Mellon Bank. In the last couple of years it has gone through yet more change. The main floor has now been converted into a Starbucks.
The cache is hidden right off of N. Main St. The container is a black key holder w/the log sheet and disclaimer serving dual purposes. There is room for 60 cachers to sign. Please be sure to keep the log/disclaimer in the glad bag so that it doesn't get wet! The container is small so B.Y.O.P.!
. . . and most of all, have fun!
genfu pna thneqvat vf zl wbo
. . . ybbx orybj!