How Geocaching Works
Related Web Page
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
The symetrical ground-planned castle with inner tower was built in a long island in the middle of a swampy area. In 1430 János Maróthy started the constructions. After his death in 1435 his son László continued the constructions. They built the brick wall around the courtyard at these days. There were no windows on the wall, except a few hole on the top of the wall. But these holes didn't made for cannons.
The report of king Zsigmond in 1438 didn't mention this building as a castle. But the castle was standing in 1445, because in 9th of June was the consecration of the chapel in the castle. Because the Maróthys dinasty died in 1476 all of the lands and the castle become the property of the king. King Mathias give the castle to his son, János Korvin.
In 1566 july Pertaf pasha attacked the castle with 40 cannon. After 9 weeks of siege, all of the water and food exhausted in the castle. Partaf granted free withdrawal but he attacked the withdrawals and take them to captivity.
During the second war of independence of Ferenc Rákóczi, Sándor Károlyi attacked the castle but after 24 days of siege they left the castle. Since 1904 the castle is unabadonned. Today this is the only brick castle in the country what survived the centuries. Summertime there is a theather inside of it.
(No hints available.)
Loading Cache Logs...
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum