N __ __° __ __ . __ __ __; W __ __ __ ° __ __ . __ __ __ N a b ° c d . e f g ; W h i j ° k l . m n o
We hope you will enjoy this puzzle. Parking is available on the Prospect Street side of the cemetery (N41° 42.449, W071° 08.419). Proceed on foot as directed:
1. At the rather impressive forty foot monument of mill owner Richard Baxter Borden (N41° 42.408; W071° 08.353) look for his birth date. b = the second digit of his birth date day
2. At this odd monument (N41° 42.332; W071° 08.293), note the first of the two names that are engraved. a = the number of letters in this (first) name
3. Locate the this memorial to another famous Fall River Mill owner (a fitting tribute from his employees at N41° 42.252; W071° 08.313). Note Foster Stafford’s wife’s death date. l = the last digit of her death year
4. Make your way to a multicolored grave marker (N41° 42.240; W071° 08.265). Note Ida’s birth date. c = the last digit of her birth year
5. As you approach the next coordinates (N41° 42.218; W071° 08.239) you will be surprised at the age of these stones. Look for the stone of Joseph Read (left most stone) and note his death date. e & f = the first two digits of his year of death
6. As you continue on, you will notice a blue monument (N41° 42.218; W071° 08.210). Notice the material from which it is made. Also notice Katie’s death date. n & o = the day of her death - minus one.
7. Find the monument at (N41° 42.277; W071° 08.150). Apparently Caroline does not want any one to know her age! Note her birth date. h = the second digit of the month of her birth
8. An interesting monument can be found at (N41° 42.318; W071° 08.169). d = the number of columns plus the number of urns on this monument
9. Only two more to go! At the site of the arch on the hill (N41° 42.403; W071° 08.237) look for the two Annie’s date of death. k = the last digit of the mother's day of death m = the daughter's month of death divided by 2
10. No visit to Oak Grove would be complete with out a trip to the famous Lizzie Borden’s grave. (Please leave all axes at home!) Find the location at (N41° 42.458; W071° 08.292) for the final three hints. g = the age of the Borden’s infant child multiplied by 2 j = the last digit of Emma’s birth year i = the number of letters on Lizzie Borden’s small headstone.
Now that you have the cache coordinates, head for the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth campus. Enter the woods at (N41° 37.250; W071° 00.463). The cache is a medium size screw top container. It is a moderate distance in the woods; there is no trail. To continue the theme of this cache, look for the “bone yard" near the entrance.
You can check your answers for this puzzle on Geochecker.com.