It is from this very spot (or within 17m of it) on August 29, 2001 that Vancouver Transit began its three year trek through the Lower Mainland. The life of the Vancouver Transit cache came to an abrupt and tragic end much too early in its young life. However, in that short time it brought untold pleasure to many local cachers. When visiting this location, stop for a minute and glance out over the territory that Vancouver Transit once traveled, and remember.
About Vancouver Transit
Vancouver Transit (GC19D6) was a "moving cache" and one of the most popular caches ever to hit the lower mainland. Once found, the cache finder would pick up the entire cache and re-hide it in a new location, somewhere in the Greater Vancouver area.
From September 2001 to August 2004, Vancouver Transit made over 150 different stops, each one lasting anywhere from a few hours to a few days before moving on to the next.
Vancouver Transit is no more, but Pharmadude thought it would be great to memorialize the stops it made along the way by placing permanent caches where the TRANSIenT ones once lay. Everyone is invited to join the Vancouver Transit Memorial Project (VTMP).
Here is how it will work:
- Pharmadude will maintain a master list of the original VT cache locations.
- If you know which location you wish to commemorate, email pharmadude (AT) shaw (DOT) ca and he will check your location off the list.
- If you would like to be assigned a location, email Pharmadude with the general area you have in mind, and he will send you the coordinates of nearby VT cache locations.
- Caches may be of any size or type, and should be placed as close to the original location as possible. Since the exact original location may only be known to as few as two people (the original hider and finder), good judgement will come into play.
- If you decide to make it a multi-cache, remember that the final coordinates are already common knowledge.
- Your cache title will begin with the heading "VTMP No. XXX:" where XXX is a number Pharmadude will assign based on the original VT cache. Following this header, you can add a further title of your choosing.
- Your cache description should also include the date the original VT cache was hidden.