Some of the more famous people buried in the Box Hill Cemetery include Joy Hester (artist), Arthur Arnott (biscuits), C J Dennis (poet), C P Callister (creator of Vegemite), Sidney Myer (retailer and philanthropist), Edouard Borovansky (dancer), Sir William Angliss (parliamentarian), and some early pioneers. This cache hunt will take you to some of these graves; the remainder are left for you to find on your own. (By the way, C J Dennis's grave has already been logged for the relevant locationless cache.)
The following information may be helpful:
- The cemetery closes at 4:45 p.m. The staff rings a large bell at 4:30 p.m. to remind you.
- The walk around is easy; it should take you 45 minutes or less to complete this cache. Allow longer if you want to have a look around.
- Although cars can enter the cemetery on weekdays, there is limited parking available within the cemetery grounds. The best place to park is the Reserve Road entrance at S 37° 49.410, E 145° 08.110.
- The first grave is 280 metres, and the final cache is 150 metres from the suggested car park.
- There is no need to walk on or over any of the graves, and you will not need to leave the established paths (except for the final location).
- All dates below are in Australian format: dd/mm/yyyy.
Proceed to the advertised coordinates: S 37° 49.301, E 145° 07.974. You are looking for a large, white monument. Note the dates that the various people died.
Merlyn died on 3/A/1982
Now proceed to the next waypoint at S 37° 49.314, E 145° 08.176. You are looking for a large, pink granite monument. Note the following date:
Yasuko died on 30/7/19B2
Eirene died on C/2/1946
Now proceed to the next grave at S 37° 49.398, E 145° 08.171. Look for a 'flower bed'. The plaque on the headstone was placed by the Box Hill Historical Society, the Box Hill Cemetery Trust, and family and friends.
She was born on DE/8/1920
The last grave to visit is at S 37° 49.337, E 145° 08.107. There are no dates on the headstone, but there are two plaques on this grave with the information you need.
He was born on 7/9/1F76
The final location is close by at: S 37° 4A.DHB, E 145° 0F.ECG. Be aware that a cemetery is a large, open area, and you could be observed from afar. As always, please replace the cache exactly where you found it, and ensure that it cannot be seen by a casual observer. Good luck, and enjoy the hunt!
He died on 22/6/1GH8
The cache container is a 1L Sistema clip-top box, painted in the delicate hues of black and brown.
The initial contents are:
Two hair scrunchies
Pack of cards
Key ring clip
Log book, stash note, and pen