Gold Rush Weekend - June 11th & 12th (GCMGVE)
Saturday, June 11, 2005
How Geocaching Works
Related Web Page
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
Red Ochre Caching wishes to invite all Geocachers to meet in Dubbo, Central Western New South Wales over the NSW Queens Birthday Weekend. This 24 Hour geo-event is designed as a family orientated social and semi competitive caching weekend in and around the Dubbo area. Our beautiful Winter has an average minima of 3 and a maxima of 17 during winter so why not make an event of it.
Click here for Our Gold Rush Page
The Gold Rush Weekend has been in the pipes for the last three months. With the date decided in the geocaching.com.au forum and prices fixed for the venue I am pleased to add this key caching event onto the geo-calendar.
A detailed description of the weekend will be listed below but in short it will consist of all attending cache teams staging Dubbo city (37,200 pop.) and the surrounding region as their claim for a 24 hour period, from noon Saturday the 11th of June till noon on the Sunday. The reasons for attending are many: Seek out as much hidden gold as you can, select from over 100 caches to do, socialise and meet with other dedicated cache teams.
Click on our 2830 postcode to browse the 100+ caches on offer around Dubbo.
How it works.
Prospecting Teams "Diggers" essentially must find as much Gold, by weight or Caches (Stars equal gold weight) hidden through out the district in a 24 hour period. This runs from noon to noon over the weekend.
*Adult is defined for this event as teenager and above. Children are not counted in teams and are free to assist or hinder caching efforts.
These two categories are further divided by conventional "Paper caching" (1 GPS only) or "Tech-caching" using palm pilots, Ozi Explorer, Geocaching Swiss Army Knife (GSAK) and /or more than 1 GPS.
The main reason for this weekend is to socialise with other teams whle finding the most gold (or Cache stars) within the 24 hour period. Teams must stay together at all times when caching.
The Gold Rush Inn is in the town centre and is the 1st Dubbo Scout Hall in Talbragar Street. It has showers, toilets, a large kitchen, hall space, seperate room floor sleeping space, rooms for DVD's and PS1, and a tenting / camp trailer space. We will also be providing and internal and external fire, 24 hour hot plate and urn.
The Local Scout Parent Committee have organised themselves to cater the weekend. On offer will not only be soup (Vegetable and Punkin) but also steak or sausage sandwiches with onion, Bacon and egg rolls, quiche, hot drinks and assorted soft drinks and water. All money raised will go towards the 1st Dubbo Scout group and hall improvements.
What you will need:
* Your GPS, batteries and a sense of adventure.
* Camping equipment (We can provide tents), food, snacks, and bedding.
* Sleep before arrival, fuel, drink bottles and warm clothing.
* Team colours (clothing etc.) and a team flag and cache calling card.
* UHF radios (optional but useful)
We understand that as much as we would like to think our kids can keep up with us and share our passion for seeking the unknown, this is not always the case. Thinking ahead we will have set up a projector and screen with PS1 and DVD's to entertain the kids. Bring your favourite movies and playstation 1 games!
As sick as it is, caching is not for everyone. The Gold Rush Inn is situated 3 minutes walk from the Dubbo CBD which means shopping. Gold will also be hidden in some of our prime tourist spots to ensure that the whole weekend is not just all about caching.
You should be ashamed of yourself! But if you can live with that and you don't like to cache with the wife and kids the hall has nearby; 2 pubs, a basketball court, half pipe, cricket pitch and skate park all within 100 meters of the Inn. Further afield are clubs, galleries and prime fishing spots for the asking.
10am - Welcome, Camp Set up and Event pack distribution. (Co-ords, Rules, Maps, Medical Emergency Advice and Contact Details).
11am - Parade: Verbal Welcome and Team Introductions. BBQ Brunch (Bacon, Eggs & Toast)and Final Preperations.
12 Noon - Teams set off seeking caches, gold and 'mother load' for the afternoon.
5pm - BBQ Dinner (Steak, Sausages & Salad), Team Challenge Activity - Win a mother load.
9 - 9.30pm - Beni Witch (Night Cache & Bonus Gold Night Challenge)
Start - Whenever you want or keep going!
12 noon - Hand in remaining gold and declare cache finds.
Tally of weight and stars. Pack up camp site. 1pm - Parade with Award Ceremony and Farewell.
1.20 - Lunch "Chip in for Pizza."
Teams wishing to stay and sleep the Sunday night, see the Sights of the City like visiting the Western Plains Zoo and Old Dubbo Gaol are welcome to stay and camp at the Gold Rush Inn through till Monday lunchtime.
The Bronze at email@example.com (0411444334)
For more information go to these links:
(1) Geocaching Australia Forum: Geocaching Australia Forum Post
(2) Event Cache Web Page: Gold Rush
(3) Red Ochre Caching Website: Red Ochre Caching (Dubbo)
(No hints available.)
- Gold Rush Inn - BBQ for Cooking.1 burner will remain running the entire 24 hours so when you want to cook the plate is already warm to hot. Hot water will also be available 24/7 for soups and beverages.
- Gold Rush Inn - Camping SpaceThis is looking from the camping area to the enterance and parade ground. BBQ in distance which will have an outdoor fire nearby as well for warmth and conversation.
- Gold Rush Inn - Talbragar Street1st Dubbo Scout Hall will feature as the Gold Rush Inn and has hot showers, flushing toilets, An office, cosy fireplace, floodlighting, BBQ, seperate rooms for DVD's and PS1 playing. Nearby are pubs, clubs, railway station, Dubbo CBD and numerious playing fields and youth facilities.
- Gold Rush Inn - The Block from across road.Plenty of space for approx 30 teams although I'd expect about 10-15 to be able to make it. Camping space and tents are available at $4 per person per night and the hall is avail for the whole long weekend if people choose to stay.
- Gold Rush Inn - The HallShowers, toilets, fire place, BBQ, Urn, DVD's and PS1. What more could you want in a weekend away. Yes Mix has to come!
- Hotels Nearby - Garden HotelThe Garden Hotel is 50 Meters West of the Scout Hall on Talbrilgar Street. It opens at 10am and closes when the patronage leaves or 3am, whichever is sooner.
- Hotels Nearby - Garden Hotel Inside.The Garden Hotel is a small watering hole with your usual ale, lager and spirit selection. Single, Double and Family Rooms are available by booking.
- Hotels Nearby - Junction HotelThe Junction Hotel is a large watering hole with betting, pool and darts. With meals and opening hours into the wee hours, it is a prefered hideout with its competitive prices.
- Hotels Nearby - Junction HotelThe Junction is also affectionately known as the 'Buncher' by the locals. With only two rooms you will need to book inadvance for a stay. Just don't give your significant other the number to "The Phone of Shame".
- Nearby - Basketball courtLess than 100 meters from the hall are 2 pubs, a club, skate park with half pipe, cricket pitch, basketball court and train station. 3 minutes walk away is the City CBD for Shopping, Tourist information, Library, Cinema and Art Galleries to name a few attractions.
- Nearby - Cricket Pitch
- Nearby - Halfpipe
- Nearby - Heritage Buildings
- Nearby - Skatepark
- Nearby - Train Station
- Promo - HandsfullPost these on your website or under your forum posts to promote Gold Rush Weekend.
- Promo - Mix
- Promo - Nugget1
- Promo - Pan
- Promo - Pub
- Promo Nugget2
- Promo Playbill - Asleep
- Promo Playbill - Standout
- Promo Playbill - Tickets Please
- Promo Playbill - Ya Mob
Loading Cache Logs...
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum