Please read this cache description carefully.
This webcam overlooks Walton Pond in Amherst, within Walton Woods Park, a 50+ acre town park. You may recognize this as being the home of GCDABC Boys will be Boys, by -=(GEO)=-, which is only .14 miles away. The webcam itself is not owned or maintained by TWU, but is on a private homeowners property, and is used for this cache with his full permission. Visit his web page at www.waltonpond.com
You may see several parking lots in the developments around Walton Pond, but unless you want to incur the wrath of the Audubon Homeowners Association, I wouldn't park in them!! You can park along any of the many residential streets in the neighborhood, and access the paved walking trails that wind all through Walton Woods Park. A good spot would be N 43 Deg. 01.177' W 078 Deg. 46.241', and walk across a small open field to the trail. Read the fine print at the bottom of this description for terrestrial factors affecting the webcam.
This used to be a themed webcam cache, requiring you to display a certain prop, dress a certain way, etc... but this webcam cache has proven to be pretty low traffic over the years, so the only requirement is a picture of yourself (or party) taken by the webcam with at least one member of the party holding a GPS.
What you need to find this webcam cache:
- Cell Phone
- An assistant connected to the internet at home, with a phone.
- The desire to have your pic taken by the webcam and displayed on this cache page. webcam.
What you need to do to log a find for this webcam cache:
- Check the webcam site before heading out. The webcam is almost always working properly, but you never know what can happen. Photos not taken by the webcam itself will be rejected.
- Find the location using your GPSr.
- Have your friend go to the webcam's web page:
Walton Pond Webcam
- When you are standing in front of the webcam, have your assistant right-click the picture, and save to their computer. This should automatically be saved as cam.jpg, and be plenty small to upload here. If needed, do not be afraid to walk off the trail, towards the condo's as their property lines extend only 10 feet from the building. Special note, Walton Pond is a Wi-Fi hotspot, you can elimate all the above tasks by taking a wi-fi capable laptop, and taking your own pic!
- Upload the picture to this webpage, along with your find log. People who are camera shy, who don't want their picture on the internet can send an email with the pic attached to twu07090 at yahoo dot com (That's spelled out to defeat spammer programs that search web pages for email addresses). Rest assured the pic will be deleted seconds after I view it for verification. Please indicate in your find log if you are using this method.
Fine Print: There is no artificial lighting in the webcam line of sight, so this cache is absolutely not available at night (not to mention the park closing at dusk). On sunny days, you'll find dark shadows early in the morning, and a couple of hours after sunrise, severe glare off the pond. about 2 hours before sunset, the sun shines right into the webcam, making the picture pretty much unusable. Optimum time for finding this webcam cache is mid morning to late afternoon, or early evening in the summer. Cloudy days, you may have to move closer to the webcam, depending on how dark it is.