This Way, That Way, Somewhere Else
How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
Named after the amusingly informative signpost that assists you on your way into Blackheath, this is a multi-cache sending you this way, that way and somewhere else to find 3 clues before finding a cache hidden on Blackheath Common, a well-managed area of forest and heathland.
In 1864 Queen Victoria came here to watch a Volunteer Review, a military exercise conducted by volunteer reservists on the area that is now the cricket pitch. The Illustrated London News reports that a grand spectacle was marred only by the accidental shooting of the local parish priest the Rev.W.Earle! The cricket pitch is a great place to rest and relax after your walk. You may have seen at least one stump by the time you get there – unless you’ve been stumped in between!
Blackheath is a lovely area and very popular, especially for dogs who bring their owners here in their hundreds to walk the paths that criss-cross the heath. I have tried to keep the clues slightly off the beaten track to avoid the dog owners, but no clue or cache is more than 5 yards from a bridleway, footpath or deer track, so keep a wary eye out and your voices low! A trade-off is that some clues may be challenging as far as tree cover goes, hence a slightly higher difficultly indicator (and my everso generous hints). The area is very sandy, so good under-foot even after rain, and the round trip back to your car will (should) be about 2 miles and should be entertaining for kids of all ages.
The above co-ordinates are for the car park. This is just a short stroll from The Villagers pub (recommended) where there is a decent garden and play area at the rear for a sunny afternoon.
The Northing co-ordinates for “This way” are missing a number which can be solved by counting the number of sheep pictured on the Information Board in the car park. Try not to fall asleep as you count ;-) and ignore any other temporary posters that appear here from time to time. From here on, each clue points straight on to the next one. Carrying on the nonsensical theme, please do your best to muddle everything up nicely for those that follow after you (you’ll know what I mean when you know what I mean!). Finally, you will not want to try this on a freezing cold day and might be grateful for use of a brolly when it’s raining. Have fun !!
1. This way . . . . . . . N51.12. _ 92 . . . W00.30.671
2. That way . . . . . . .N51.12. _ _ _ . . .W00.30. _ _ _
3. Somewhere else . . N51.12. _ _ _ . . .W00.30. _ _ _
4. Cache . . . . . . . . .N51.1A . B C D . .W00.3W. X Y Z
1. Haqre gjb ybtf, ol pebpxrq fvyire ovepu. (N zrqvhz fvmr obk).
2. Jnvg nebhaq hagvy 3cz (TZG) ba n fhaal qnl naq lbh fubhyq or ybbxvat sbe fbzrjurer va gur funqr! (Fznyy obk ng onfr bs fznyy sve).
3. V yvir bccbfvgr n bar-hc, bar-qbja frzv-qrgnpurq, cerivbhfyl bjarq ol n pbhcyr bs abvfl urnq-onatref. (Na rira fznyyre obk!).
4. Uvqqra haqre gur oenapurf bs n tbefr ba gur evtug nf lbh jnyx vagb gur tynqr. (Zrqvhz fvmrq obk).
Loading Cache Logs...
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum