Skip to Content

Reviewer notes

Use this space to describe your geocache location, container, and how it's hidden to your reviewer. If you've made changes, tell the reviewer what changes you made. The more they know, the easier it is for them to publish your geocache. This note will not be visible to the public when your geocache is published.

This cache has been archived.

rifkindsss: As notícias são muitas e pelo menos numa coisa estão de acordo: algo foi encontrado no
Elevador de Santa Justa, que provocou um susto suficientemente grande para motivar um aparato policial e o trabalho da Brigada de Minas e Armadilhas.

A cache de Santa Justa está identificada com o logotipo do Geocaching e contém uma Stashnote a explicar o jogo.

Ainda assim, acreditamos que o melhor é arquivar a cache para evitar situações semelhantes.

More
Traditional Geocache

Elevador de Sta. Justa / Sta. Justa Lift

A cache by rifkind & rifkinda Send Message to Owner Message this owner
Hidden : 5/15/2005
Difficulty:
1.5 out of 5
Terrain:
1.5 out of 5

Size: Size: micro (micro)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:




[PT]Uma visita a um monumento vivo ao Engenho Mecânico.
[EN]A visit to a living monument to Mechanical Device.

Alguns conselhos:

  • A cache só está acessível entre as 07h00 e as 21h00. Sejam discretos!
  • A pedra de calçada é escorregadia! Cuidado!
  • A recepção de satélites é bastante precária, mas não há muito que enganar...

Some words of advice:

  • The cache is only available between 07h00 and 21h00. Requires stealth!
  • Beware of the sidewalks! They may be very slippery!
  • Satellite coverage is rather bad, but there shouldn't be too much trouble...

Caches relacionadas / Related caches:

[PT]O ELEVADOR DE SANTA JUSTA

A configuração acidentada de Lisboa, com ladeiras abruptas e declives acentuados, foi desde sempre um grave obstáculo à circulação de pessoas e bens entre as partes mais altas e baixas da cidade. Nem mesmo os veículos de tracção animal mais aperfeiçoados, surgidos nos finais do século XIX, conseguiam responder a este problema de um modo completamente satisfatório.

Com o advento da tracção mecânica surge pela primeira vez a possibilidade de o resolver. Aparecem então os ascensores e elevadores, os primeiros funcionando em plano inclinado e os últimos em plano vertical.

Dos três elevadores então construídos, Chiado, Biblioteca e Carmo, apenas este último se mantém em actividade mercê da sua real utilidade.

Em 2 de Julho de 1900 iniciaram-se os trabalhos com a remoção de terras nas escadinhas de Santa Justa tendo a empreitada da construção metálica sido confiada a Cardoso D'Argent e Cª., firma estabelecida no nº. 29 da Travessa do Conde da Ponte à Junqueira, paredes meias com as instalações da C.C.F.L. de Santo Amaro. O processo adoptado consistia no estabelecimento de uma estrutura metálica vertical formando duas torres ligadas entre si, em cada uma das quais funcionaria uma cabine com capacidade para 24 passageiros. Esta era equilibrada com a sua gémea por meio de um forte cabo de aço que passava sobre um tambor instalado, tal como todo o mecanismo motor, no cimo das torres, no andar situado imediatamente acima da estação superior. Desta estação partia um passadiço metálico que, passando sobre a Rua do Carmo e assentando sobre o último andar do prédio nº. 69, propriedade do Conde de Tomar, efectuava a ligação com o Largo do Carmo.

O lançamento do passadiço, construídas já as torres, teve lugar no dia 31 de Agosto de 1901, o mesmo em que a Carris inaugurou o serviço de eléctricos e foi, certamente, o momento mais espectacular de todo o período de construção já pela manobra, difícil e arriscada, já pela quantidade de público que, interessado, se instalou nas ruas e telhados próximos.

Lançado o passadiço as obras continuaram o seu ritmo normal. Em Junho de 1902 ensaiaram-se máquinas e cabines e no mês seguinte, a 10 de Julho, o elevador inaugurou o serviço público.

Às 14 horas o elevador foi aberto ao público. Este pagava para descer 10 reis e para subir 1 vintém. Nesse dia venderam-se mais de três mil bilhetes e à noite houve um concerto pela banda que durou até cerca da meia noite. Faltava ainda construir as estruturas destinadas a coroar a ponte e as torres. Mas como essas obras iriam não só interferir com o normal funcionamento do elevador mas também aumentar os custos de construção, já então considerados elevados, decidiu a empresa não os efectuar. Deste modo a cobertura das torres ficou reduzida a um simples terraço.

Com o fim de aumentar as suas receitas a empresa mandara colocar no terraço um telescópio pelo qual as pessoas podiam espreitar, pagando, e com o mesmo objectivo editou uma colecção de postais ilustrados com vistas do elevador, da cidade e dos arredores.

No fim do 1º ano de exploração o elevador transportara já mais de meio milhão de passageiros e ao terraço haviam subio 52.415 curiosos, dos quais 12.551 tinham feito uso do telescópio.

O ano de 1907 foi marcado pela electrificação do sistema, tendo a substituição das primitivas máquinas a vapor por outras eléctricas obrigado a uma paralização temporária. O novo método foi autorizado por despacho ministerial de 11 de Julho tendo as obras sido iniciadas ainda nesse mês.

Setenta anos passados sobre a data da sua inauguração, o elevador do Carmo, mais vulgarmente conhecido como Elevador de Santa Justa, ficou definitivamente integrado na rede de transportes da Companhia Carris.

Em Fevereiro de 2002, tal como aconteceu com os ascensores do Lavra, da Glória e da Bica, também eles propriedade da Companhia Carris de Ferro de Lisboa, foi classificado como Monumento Nacional.


[EN]THE SANTA JUSTA LIFT

Lisbon is a city of hills and valleys. The slopes are steep and abrupt, creating what has always been a serious problem for the transport of people and goods between the high and the low areas of the city. Not even the most up-to-date vehicles drawn by animals, coming on the scene at the end of the 19th century, could solve the problem in a really satisfactory way.

The advent of mechanical traction brought the possibility of a solution. It was at this time that the funiculars and lifts began to appear, the first functioning on sloping terrain, the second operating vertically.

Three lifts were built in down-town Lisbon, the Chiado, Biblioteca and Carmo, but only the last really proved useful and is still in operation.

On 2 July 1900, work began on removing the earth on the Santa Justa steps. The contract for the iron work had been awarded to Cardoso D'Argent e Cª., whose registered office was at 29 Travessa do Conde da Ponte à Junqueira, right alongside the premises of the Companhia Carris de Ferro de Santo Amaro. The work consisted of a vertical metallic structure on two interconnected towers. In each of these towers there would be a lift which could take 24 passengers. Each one counterbalance the other by means of a strong steel cable passing over a drum which was sited, along with the electrical motor, at the top of the towers, on a floor immediately above the top platform. From this platform there was a metal passageway to the Rua do Carmo, resting on the floor of number 69, the property of the Conde de Tomar. This ensured the connection with the Largo do Carmo.

When the towers had been built, the passageway was created. This was opened on 31 August 1901, the same date as Carris started its tram service. This was the most spectacular moment in the construction, both because the work was difficult and risky, and because of the quantity of people who came to look from the street or nearby roofs.

Once the passageway was in place, the work continued at its normal pace. In June 1902, the machinery and the cabins were tested and in the following month, on 10 July, the lift entered public service.

At two o’clock in the afternoon, the lift opened to the public. The price to go down was 10 “reis” and to go up it was “1 vintém”. That day, more than three thousand tickets were sold and in the evening there was a concert that went on until close on midnight.

The structures to provide a “crown” for the bridge and the towers were still missing but building these would have interfered with the normal running of the lift and would also have added to the cost of the building works, already considered very high. So the company decided not to do the work. As a result, the cover for the towers was reduced to a simple terrace.

With the purpose of boosting receipts, the company decided to put a telescope on the terrace so that people could pay to look through. They also issued a collection of illustrated postcards with views of the lift, the city and its surroundings.

By the end of the first year, the lift had transported more than half a million passengers and 52,415 on-lookers had gone to the top, with 12,551 of these using the telescope.

During 1907 the system was electrified and the early steam engines were replaced by electric engines. This meant a temporary stoppage. The new method was authorised by ministerial dispatch on 11 July and all the transformation works began that very month.

Seventy years afte its opening, the Carmo lift, more commonly known as the Santa Justa lift, was definitively integrated into the Carris public transport network.

In February 2002, along with the funiculars of Lavra, Glória and Bica, also owned by Carris, it was classified as a national monument.

[PT]NOTA:Por favor, não publiquem qualquer informação (texto ou foto) sobre o contentor da cache. Esperamos que gostem! A cache inclui um lápis, afiador e logbook, mas não permite trocas.

[EN]NOTE:Please, don't publish any text or photo regarding the cache container. We hope you enjoy this cache! The cache includes a pencil, sharpener and logbook, but does not contain any gifts.



Would you like to know more about Geocaching in Portugal ?
Join the discussion group and visit Geocaching@PT

Additional Hints (Decrypt)

[PT]Ab frthaqb qrtenh.
[EN]Haqre gur frpbaq fgrc.

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M
-------------------------
N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below, and vice versa)



 

Find...

571 Logged Visits

Found it 416     Didn't find it 51     Write note 69     Archive 1     Needs Archived 2     Temporarily Disable Listing 11     Enable Listing 10     Owner Maintenance 10     Update Coordinates 1     

View Logbook | View the Image Gallery of 98 images

**Warning! Spoilers may be included in the descriptions or links.

Current Time:
Last Updated: on 11/15/2017 3:58:12 PM (UTC-08:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada) (11:58 PM GMT)
Rendered From:Unknown
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum

Return to the Top of the Page