Tracker Jim's Pirate Stash
Tracker Jim was an avid card player, a hobby which led him into trouble on occasion. Such was the case when he was in a game of poker against an aging stranger. This stranger, who had been winning up to this point, threw a weathered parchment map into the pot during a huge hand -- enough to put Jim ahead for the night.
Jim called that bet because he was holding kings full of nines. The stranger showed only a pair of threes, a curiously weak hand considering all the betting he had been doing.
Jim thought little of it at the time, figuring the stranger was simply an irredeemable bluffer. But he was wrong.
The map, as it turned out, was cursed.
Part of the curse was that the owner was stricken with a sort of mania, driving him to seek out hidden treasures. Some say that this is the reason that Jim spent so many of his years on crazy adventures.
Tracker Jim was eventually able to destroy the map, which freed him from the powerful curse. But though the map was gone, the curse's energy lingered, free floating for many years until some of it has collected on this web page in a weakened but still menacing form. For all who read this web page will feel a portion of the curse, an urge to walk in Jim's footsteps and find the pirate stash. Only when they find this cache will they be forever free of the curse.
The only remaining shard of the map is is really too burned to be of help. What will help you are the coordinates listed on this cache page.
- Parking at: N41°44.712' W71°08.651' -- Chase Reserve. This approach will keep you off private property. You may get to the parking by approaching from the northwest (County St. to Hawthorne St.)
- Nifty bridge at: N41°44.687' W71°08.620' -- You can overlook a friendly brook.
- You do not need to disturb any stone walls to find any part of this cache.
- There may be muddy spots along the way.
- I have CITOed here, and it is currently pretty clean. If you see any trash, please help keep this area pretty. I've put a few CITO bags in the cache.
- Please replace the caches as you found them. If you think the difficulty rating is inaccurate, I will adjust that based on DNFs and logs.
- There is poison ivy off trail in a number of locations ( only during certain times of the year), so be careful. You needn't touch any to complete this cache, but keep an eye on kids.
- You will need to go off trail for the final.
- The original pirate items have long ago been plundered by Tracker Jim. Currently, it contains basically normal cache items. Feel free to trade pirate-themed items if you have them.
- This reserve is within a residential area, and you will be in view of houses at times. Minor stealth may be required.
Original Cache Contents:
Tales of Tomorrow DVD, King of Queens DVD, 2 Finger Puppet Pens, 2 Hanging Skeletons, 1 Glow Star, 1 dingo, 1 conspicuously noisy laser pointer, 1 bungee strap, 1 keyring book, 1 steer, 1 lion, 1 Albert Brooks Comedy Tape, 1 New Hampshire DOT token, 2 binder clips (gold/silver), 1 Hipster PDA, CITO bags (plastic shopping bags with twist ties)
Disposable Camera, Logbook, Pencils
Please Report Your DNFs
This is only my second hide, and the feedback is important to me in learning to improve future hides I am planning. (And adjusting this one if need be)
Click To Rate This Cache