Velka Bukova is one of the highest hills of Ceske Stredohori. Since there has been a TV tower built, it is not the nicest one, but it still makes a good hike up from the valley of Elbe and there is a nice view to the eastern part of Stredohori. The posted coordinates will lead you to an overlook platform called "Humboldtova vyhlidka" - "Humboldt's View", named after a German scientist and explorer, baron Alexander von Humboldt.
If you don't feel like hiking up some 500 vertical meters, you can drive the road up and park at N50° 40.398' E14° 13.850'. The road is not maintained during winter time.
To get the cache coordinates, you have to do some Alexander von Humboldt related research and get the following numbers:
- A = the year of A. von H.'s and Aimé Bonpland's Orinoco expedition
- B = Length of Humboldt River (in miles, rounded to hundreds)
- C,D = N latitude, E longitude of Mare Humboldtianum (whole degrees only)
- E = denomination of the banknote with A. von H.'s portrait
- F = year of A. von H.'s russian expedition
- G = N latitude of Kap Humboldt (whole degrees only)
- H = the year when Franz Meyen classified the Spheniscus humboldti species
- J = the year of a large earthquake in one European city, mentioned by A. von H. in his lecture about volcanos as an example of tectonic processes being related to each other. The earthquake took place on Nov 1st. The lecture had been held in the Berlin Academy on January 24th, 1823.
N50° 40 + (B+C+G+E-H+J) / 1000 '
E14° 10 + (A+C+D+F) / 1000 '
Click to verify coordinates