"Tou às aranhas" [Gerês]
In Braga, Portugal
How Geocaching Works
Related Web Page
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
"Tou às aranhas" is a popular portuguese expression for someone who is confused or not understading something (it literally means "I'm chasing spiders"). But it can also be a job, in this case my job. And of many more people! In fact, the idea for this cache came up during an intensive fieldwork that 11 arachnologists from 4 different countries have done in the Gerês area, in Mata da Albergaria. Everything has already been identified and we have 204 species from a single site in 8 days!
The day after finishing, 4 of us went to the highest summit in the mountain chain (Nevosa, 1548m) and left this cache in the neighbourhood to celebrate the feat.
The published coordinates are for Portela do Homem, a possibility to park the car. From here there are several ways to get to the cache, however, and in view of severe restrictions by the National Park, you should contact them asking for the best way to climb Nevosa.
In order to find the cache spot you'll have to answer 10 questions. Each question has 3 options. Learn something about spiders and substitute the question letter by the number corresponding to the answer in the following coordinates:
A. How many species of spiders are known worldwide?
2. About 4000
4. About 40000
7. About 400000
B. Which spiders are considered as being as inteligent as small mammals?
C. Which of the following families typically has a different number of eyes from the other two?
D. How do the Deinopidae hunt?
0. Running after their preys and jumping when they're close
6. Suddenly appearing from a hidden trapdoor
7. Throwing a small web over passing insects
E. Which of the following sports is not practiced by spiders?
5. Mountain biking
9. Bungee jumping
F. Which human-equivalent organ is used by male spiders to copulate?
G. There's only one family of spiders whose members don't produce poison. Which?
H. How do the Scytodidae hunt?
4. Spitting web and poison over their preys at a safe distance
5. Running around and throwing silk over passing insects very fast
6. Imitating the way their preys walk and behave
I. What's the name of Tolkien's Middle-Earth first spider, companion to Melkor?
J. Who are the most interesting animals in the world :) ?
You can check your answers for this puzzle on Geochecker.com.
Nobhg guvegl zrgref fbhgu bs gur fhzzvg, rnfg fvqr bs gur evqtr.
- ContemplatingYeah, what a view. In this case, of the Portuguese side of the border...
- Crazy guysWhat the hell are a bunch of grown people doing in the middle of the night inside the woods? With strange instruments. And they call themselves scientists...
- MeAt the top
- SummitThe summit rocks, go for the path here seen
- The minesA small village for the workers, now abandoned
- The wayAlways up, never down...
- There???From the mines you can see the summit, still far away
Last Updated: on 5/23/2017 5:16:01 AM Pacific Daylight Time (12:16 PM GMT)
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum