Engine, Engine number 9, Going down the Lacey Line Webcam Cache
This cache has been locked, but it is available for viewing.
Size:  (not chosen)
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
DO NOT GO OUT ON THE TRAIN PLATFORM!!! STAY INSIDE THE FENCE. THE GIVEN COORDINATES ARE INCORRECT. GO TO N 46° 59.513 W 122° 47.600 INSTEAD. Copy and paste the following web address for use with this cache: http://www.railcams.com/webcampix/olw1/olwcam12.html
Unfortunately, due to the fact that webcam caches are now grandfathered, I am unable to change the given coordinates to the current place where you need to be to get your photo taken. I repeat: PLEASE DON'T GO TO THE GIVEN COORDINATES - OR OUTSIDE ON THE PLATFORM.
Due to the fact that this webcam is not always running, I advise you to check if it is active just before going to the location.
Engine, Engine, number 9
Going down Chicago Line
If the train goes off the track,
Do you want your money back?
Now we have the Lacey Line – and at long last – a webcam site for South Sounders. It is available any time, day and night, 365 days a year. (Well, 366 days during a leap year)
The webcam updates every 90 seconds, so no long waits are involved.
It gets even better – it is possible to do this one completely on your own. You have to be in place as a SOUTH-bound train comes into the station. Then you need to get to a computer to check if you succeeded. The images of the last 4 northbound trains are stored at the internet site - go to the site listed above and select "Most Recent Images From This RAILcam." I live 14 minutes from the station, so am usually able to go home in time to download my picture.
If you do it by yourself, to help you plan your day, northbound Amtrak trains are scheduled to arrive at 10:37 am, and at 2:22, 6:17 and 8:07 pm. There are also many unscheduled freight trains heading south. If the green signal light south of you turns on, it is a good indication that a train will soon be there.
Did you know that a common reason Amtrak trains are late is because they do not own the tracks and must give priority to all other rail traffic such as freight trains?
You can get a one-day pass for internet use at the Lacey Timberline library located at N 47º 02.623 W 122º 49.337.
If you do it with a friend at home at a computer, you don’t even need a cell phone. Use the pay phone at the site.
What to do:
1. Decide if you are going to do it with an assistant at a computer or take a chance on doing it on your own.
2. Check out the above web address in advance to see where to position yourself and then give this web address to your assistant.
3. Take your GPS to hold up for the photo.
4. Stand just a few posts south of the light with the letter B and partway up the slope near the given coordinates until your assistant has captured your image if working together, or a train goes south if doing this solo.
5. You or your assistant should right click on the selected picture and then select “Save Picture As.”
6. Post your log and include the picture.
Night time pictures, although not recommended, may be possible if you hold a flashlight to illuminate your face.
1. Have a train in the picture with you.
2. Do this cache solo.
[stand between B and C and not too tightly against the fence]