At Stage 1, the ghost speaks at midnight, telling you where to find the final cache. That's 12 a.m. EDT, 11 p.m. EST; this midnight manifestation doesn't "fall back." Both stages should be fairly easy to find. The only complication is the necessity of coming out in the middle of the night.
Instructions for All You Intrepid Ghost/Cache Hunters
- Park at N 35 42.871, W 078 56.800. This is a Game Land parking lot.
- Why are you here? For an Owl Prowl, of course. These woods are home to numerous barred owls, and sometimes great horned owls. Follow the links to learn their calls.
- Proceed across the road to the given coordinates for this cache, which mark the trailhead. Reflective tacks will help guide you from there.
- You will leave the trail at N 35 42.821, W 078 56.999. Enter these coordinates on your GPSr, to help you find your way out later.
- The Ghost Box is located at N 35 42.831, W 078 57.065. It is locked. Do not attempt to open it.
- Stay close to the Ghost Box as midnight approaches. Eventually, you will hear a voice speak, repeating the coordinates for the final cache. Please be aware that the voice is softened by its ethereal distance, and muffled by the metal that contains it, so you'll need to be quiet and listen closely. You might also wish to record the voice for replay.
Things You Should Know
- This is a backward sort of multi, with an ammo box at the first stage leading to a Bison tube at the final stage. The log sheet is in the Bison tube.
- There's a second ammo box near the first stage: one that does open, to allow trades. Finding this ammo box is totally optional. There's no log book, no clues, just some room for trade items. The coordinates for this trade box are N 35 42.840, W 78 57.070.
- This cache is an offspring of Jack's Evil Seed. Thanks, Jack, for the Bison tube! For over seven years, this cleverly camo'ed tube served as the final stage, before being replaced by a new Bison in March 2013.
Words of Assurance and Consolation
- The spirit has proven itself reliable over sustained exposure to near-freezing temperatures. If the air temperature at midnight (or 11 pm Standard Time) is warmer than the inside of a typical fridge, and you hear nothing, the problem isn't the temperature, and you should post a "Needs Maintenance" log. If it is colder… well, that's why we have the "not available for winter" attribute.
- We will pay periodic service visits to this cache, to assure that our spirit remains charged.
- Failing all else, at least you have had an Owl Prowl. Remember, barred owls go, "Who cooks for you? Who cooks for you all?", while great horned owls go, "Who's awake? Me, too!"
Goodnight... and good luck!