Ajka-Csingervalley - "Macskalik" cave
Related Web Page
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
This is a traditional cache. The coordinates of the box. N47°03,698' E17°38,081' 452m Other curiositys: The Ajka-Csingervalley cemetery N47°05,060' E17°34,789' 256m The Ajka Mining Museum N47°04,847' E17°35,623' 308m The "Macskalik" cave N47°03,999 E17°37,689 422m A HISTORY OF AJKA MINING MUSEUM Ajka town located in Veszprém county lies at the north-western boundary of Bakony mountains. The coal basin stretches to the south of the town, in the direction of semi-circle shape Csinger valley. In 1865 Gyula Puzdor, squire, inspirated by already known coal outcrops, entrusted Mr. Hout, mining engineer, with the survey. The further explorations were then initiated based on the recommendations of Miksa Hantken. Thus several pits were opened in Upper Csinger and the coal production was started. At Lower Csinger, first the Foakna (the main pit) and then, in 1900, the Ármin vertical shaft were deepened. I.ater on, as the further pits were opened and upgraded Ihe production kept on continuously increasing. Thus, the Ajka coal basin had been significantly contributing the n,ilional coal production. The Ármin-mine of the basin has been in production rvcn nowadays. The vertical shaft which was commissioned in 1904 finished its operation in 1959. Its buildings and equipment listed now as the historic association of technology gave rise to the thought of István Ruzsinszki formerly chief engineer of the coal mining plant, that a mining museum should be established there taking the advantage of the original location of those. The Museum was launched on 6 August 1965 on the occasion of 100th anniversary of Ajka coal mining. Its and purpose were to collect and exhibit the material and written memories of production assets used for heading, winning, haulage and other activities as well as the memories of support structures used in the headings and at the faces. In addition to the technological equipment, the retaining of Ármin pit as a museum was justified by the sad disaster of 14 January 1909 when the fire in the mine caused the death of 55 miners. When the Museum was opened, the original material memories together with the photographs, contemporary documents and drawings were exhibited in the engine house, in the pithead house and in the forge-shop. The transformer-house adjoining the above plant building was renovated in 1966. The internal timbered ceiling of the building's roof structure was left in accordance with the original state whilst the inner space was arranged to accommodate a show room with a small office and document archive located nearby. The 54m long show-tunnel was delivered over in 1977, in which different heading and face supports can be seen. Different production equipment and machinery used in coal mining during the recent past were continuously placed in the pit yard. The building of Palaeontology and Mineralogy established in 1978 used to be the mining rescue station of Ármin pit. The mining rescue crew was organised in 1924. The main building of the Museum is the haulage engine-house of the pit. Inside it one can see the Schlicktype duplex-piston steam-engine commissioned in 1904 and operated till 1959. The pithead house with the pit-head frame is located opposite to the pit's engine-room. These were designed and, probably, produced at Czech Skoda-Works, in 1912. The original pithead frame was made of wood. The pit's depth is 128 m. Its supporting was provided in 6 x 2.5 m section by wooden-frame props. The forge-shop can be found near the pithead house. Contemporary documents, photographs, honours and club banners related to and illustrating the life of miners can be seen in the show room. The support elements used in the underground mines are exhibited in the 54 m long show-tunnel. The most complete collection of steel and metal props and structures can be found here. The mining, loading, tunnelling machines and the means of transportation and water pumping can be seen in the pit yard. The exhibits of Palaeontology and Mineralogy are presented in the separate building. In addition to the characteristic mineral types of the area which are brown coal, bauxite and manganese, different beautiful pieces of minerals can be seen here including the Ajka laurel named the Ajka town. The tourists coming to visit Ajka, after having visited the Mining Museum, can visit the glass exhibition arranged in the former glass factory, where the worldfainous products of the factory, which was operating since 1878, can be seen. Also the collection of books of István Fekete and Ferenc Molnár who were writing folkish novels liar youngsters can be seen here. There is one more museum in the downtown area, at Szabadság Square, where the exhibition of Ajka history with the material memories of Ajka development can be seen.
(No hints available.)