9/7/13 Update: Due to tree trimming, this cache needed to be moved AGAIN. Note that the questions have not changed this time, but I added some simple arithmetic to adjust the coordinates to the new location.
On a slow new week in 1929, reporters Otis Hullett and Manuel Hahn fabricated a news story about a lying contest between the Police and Fire Departments in Burlington. It seems the police and firemen were sitting around the station on New Years Day, and wanted to see who could fabricate the biggest lie. The winner, hands down, was the Chief of Police, who denied ever telling a lie in his life.
Picked up by the news services, the story gather enough interest that the AP contacted Hullett the following year for the name of the new champion. A winner was selected and the contest was born.
Each year the lies poured into Burlington. Hullett formed first a national and then an international club. Membership was originally a lie and a thin dime. Inflation has pushed the price up to a one time fee of a dollar and the lie. From the beginning, however, membership has been restricted to amateurs, thus denying membership to politicians.
Hullett closed the club in 1979, but the Burlington Area Chamber of Commerce financed its reopening in 1980. The club still sponsors it annual contest and the winning lie is announced each New Years Day.
The city of Burlington has placed several bronze plaques which commemorate the Liar's Club. The coordinates given below will take you to 7 of these plaques. You should visit each of these locations to determine answers to questions below and construct the coordinates of the cache. Note that these coordinates also contain some of the answers to the questions used for "Burlington Liars Club Final - The Whopper", so you may want to get those answers at the same time. Also note that half of the coordinate formula for "Burlington Liars Club Final - The Whopper" can be found in this cache.
The waypoints are:
- N 42° 40.865' W 088° 16.651'
- N 42° 40.807' W 088° 16.586'
- N 42° 40.803' W 088° 16.593'
- N 42° 40.807' W 088° 16.580'
- N 42° 40.804' W 088° 16.632'
- N 42° 40.800' W 088° 16.642'
- N 42° 40.790' W 088° 16.738'
The cache is located at:
N 42° 4A.BCD W 088° 1E.FGH
- A = fourth digit of the year a lie told by a captain won the contest
- B = Number of letters in Fibber McGee's real name (First and Last)
- C = second digit of the year a lie was told about a clock MINUS 9
- D = number of letters in the last name of the winner from Milwaukee PLUS 3
- E = fourth digit of the year a lie about a nightcrawler won the contest
- F = third digit of the year the winner was from California MINUS 1
- G = third digit of the year the lie was told about a chicken PLUS 6
- H = fourth digit of the year the winner was from Chicago MINUS 1