DISCLAIMER: The cache is not at the posted coordinates. That is the point where Mercer, Middlesex and Monmouth counties all come together which was a convenient mid-point for the state. However the cache is a 40 mm ammo can hidden somewhere within a 5 mile radius of the posted coordinates.
Just as the Tour de France takes its participants to all the regions of France so the Tour de Cache is intended to get you out and about to see the sights that New Jersey has to offer. For the most densely populate state in the union, it contains an amazing diversity of natural and historic areas. From the shore to the highlands, from the rush of the urban areas to the serenity of the wetlands, that's what this cache is all about. Now for the details:
FIND ONE CACHE
IN EACH COUNTY
POST FINDS LIST
HERE FOR REVIEW
COORDS AFTER REVIEW
(NO POCKET CACHES)
|IF A CACHE IS
- Find one cache in each of the 21 New Jersey counties.
- Post a note listing your finds here - by county, cache and date. (see example)
Please send us an e-mail when you complete the Tour so we can begin to review your finds.
Though the output from one of the numerous statistics programs may indicate that you have found caches in all 21 New Jersey counties, there is insufficient information in the output for us to conduct a review. In particular the NJ County Challenge is restrictive in the type and size of cache that must be found. Therefore, you still need to submit a list of the caches you wish us to review to determine successful completion of the challenge or not
- Final coords will be e-mailed after review of your finds list by the committee.
- Find the cache, make a trade and sign the log. (Trades are optional and not a requirement to complete the Tour. If you trade, please trade up or even.)
- Log your find on geocaching.com.
- The cache can be done as a group but each member of the group must go to each cache site and sign each log. Dividing into sub groups and pooling their efforts will not be allowed.
- No pocket caches allowed. The caches must be found at their actual locations.
- Observe all park and local regulations such as closing times and restricted areas.
- Caches that do not comply with the Rules or the Allowable Caches guidelines will be disallowed by the committee. The affected player will be notified via e-mail of the disallowance and the reasons. A new cache will then need to be found in the affected county in order to complete the challenge. Cachers should revise their online logs accordingly to reflect the disallowance of any caches.
- Geocaching.com listed caches only.
- Caches must be found on or after August 26, 2006.
- Keeping with the original spirit of geocaching, the cache must be a physical cache with a log book that you sign This includes Traditional caches, Multi-caches, Letter Box Hybrids, and Mystery/Unknown caches only.
- The cache must be large enough to accept travel bugs and other trade items. Micro and nano caches are excluded starting November 1, 2006.
- Logging one of your own caches does not count.
- Revisiting previously found caches does not count.
- To ensure consistency, Multi-caches and Mystery/Unknown caches will be scored in the county they are listed in.
- County boundaries as shown on USGS Topo maps. Caches on or near county boundaries to be reviewed on a case by case basis.
- The difficulty and terrain ratings are for the final cache. The actual ratings will vary according to the caches you choose to hunt.
You'll have the satisfaction of completing a significant challenge as well as the recognition of your fellow cachers through your logs here.
Geocoins are no longer awarded for completion of the Tour de Cache as their supply has been exhausted.
You can set your own goals in completing this challenge. Some suggestions are:
- Standard - complete the challenge as described above.
- Vintage - in addition to the Standard challenge include the oldest cache in each county.
- Cutting Edge - only caches posted after this cache.
- Multi Master - only multi caches.
- Puzzle Master - only puzzle caches.
- Hiking Master - only significant hiking caches.
- Dark Lord - only night caches.
- Lord of the Seas - only paddle to caches.
- Muck Master - only caches that get your feet dirty.
There are many more variations that you can think of. This cache is what you make of it. Let's all cache responsibly and have some fun with this challenge!
The cache owner will be the arbiter for all questions that may arise regarding this cache and its successful completion. When in doubt, ask the cache owner for a ruling.
This cache was placed with prior special permission from Groundspeak. Many thanks to Pofe for his/her assistance in obtaining that permission and guidance through the review process.
Thanks to the committee members for development, placement, maintenance and administration of this cache.
This cache was inspired by the DeLorme challenge and county / state compilation caches which have been appearing recently on geocaching.com. These bookmarks will take you to some of those other caches:
From time to time, the rules and conditions of this cache will be modified to prevent players from gaming the game.
8/24/06 - Added rules 6,7 and 8.
9/11/06 - Added rule 9.
10/27/06 - Clarified Allowable Caches Guideline 4 to specifically exclude micro and nano caches starting November 1, 2006.
4/20/07 - Clarified Rule 4 - Trading at caches is not a requirement for the Tour.