Elie began in 1890 as a stop for the Canadian Northern Railway. It was known as "De Tank" because it was the steam engine stop for refilling. De Tank was not official.
A Mr. Patenaude filed legal forms for the area to be known as Patenaude but was unsuccessful.
The town is named after Elie Dufresne who donated land for the church, convent and school. He built the first school and Léa Dufresne was the first teacher. First the name "Dufresne" was used to designate the area and school. On August 1, 1898 the name officially became Elie.
The first resident priest was Father Alfred Camirand in 1907. In 1915 the present convent was built and in 1910 Bell Telephone established an exchange in Elie.
A camoed plastic container with log book, pencil, trinkets, and FTF.