Massachusetts DeLorme Challenge Mystery Cache
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
Massachusetts DeLorme Challenge
Massachusetts DeLorme Challenge
Geocoin Swap - Geocoin Swap
Massachusetts DeLorme Challenge
Based in part on Delorme caches in other states, these are the rules:
1. To "FIND" this cache, you must find or place a cache within each map grid/page of "Massachusetts Atlas & Gazetteer", published by DeLORME and copyrighted in 2004. 54-56 CACHES IN ALL! (See City or Island options outlined below.) You may not include caches found by you prior to the publication date and time of this cache page as determined by the reviewer's note of publication.
1a. It is not necessary to purchase a copy of the DeLORME map book to participate. I will send a listing of the grid squares upon request.
1b. Note that pages 31, 43, 60 and 62 have split maps. You need only find one cache on each of those pages, it does mater which section it is in.
1c. By my count, 8 pages currently have 5 or less caches on them and 2 pages have only 1 cache on them.
3. As mentioned above, the posted coordinates are not the actual coordinates for the cache. The actual cache is some distance (less than 2 miles) from these coordinates I just used them to keep other cachers from placing caches too close to home for me. To verify completion, and receive the cache coordinates, you will need to post a note to the cache page and E-mail me a GPX file that contains all the finds. I will then verify that the location of each find is within the proper grid and email you the information for finding the final cache.
4. Generally accepted rules, guidelines and conditions for logging a cache find apply. These must be bona fide active caches listed on Geocaching.com that you have personally (physically) found and logged both at the cache and online. They may not include caches found prior to the publication date and time of this cache page as determined by the reviewers note of publication.
5. Every page does contain at least one cache. If you have already found every cache on that page you have the option of waiting for a new cache or placing one there yourself. Placement of a cache on a DeLorme Atlas page counts the same as finding a cache on that page. If you choose to do this, however, you are responsible for meeting all approval and maintenance criteria with Geocaching.com. (Caches that do not last 30 days will not be accepted.)
6. All active physical cache types (including Earth caches and Letterbox Hybrid caches) count as finds or hides for the Massachusetts DeLorme Challenge. Events (CITO included), Virtuals, Locationless and Traveling caches WILL NOT be allowed. For Multis and Mysteries, the posted coordinates determine which page the cache counts on for finds and where the final is located for hides.
7. If a Massachusetts DeLorme Atlas page includes space not located in Massachusetts, only active caches in the Massachusetts portion count. Each page contains a small amount of over lap onto another page, that area does not count for that page. A cache located at N42 44.998 W 071 04.500 would land on page 29, not page 18.
9. While you may have others with you when you find the final cache. Only those who have fulfilled ALL criteria for this cache will be allowed to log it as a find. Find logs by other cachers will be deleted.
10. When in doubt ask—we can discuss it or even seek guidance from others, but the final decision rests with the cache owner. While the various editions and versions of the DeLorme Atlas do not seem to have changed much in terms of page boundaries, the information in the cache owner's copy (as listed above) will be considered definitive.
Remember that this is a game and is supposed to be fun! Remembering that this is a game and is supposed to be fun for everyone, upon request, I can set the final as a Terrain 1 cache if the need arises.
The easiest way for me to verify your finds is for you to create a bookmark list of them and then for you to send me a GPX file of that bookmark list. (I will not pull GPX files for you.) Or you can just send me a GPX file of your "My finds" pocket query.
What I have decided to do is to reply as close to 72 hours after receiving your email as possible. My reply will give you instructions on finding the final. At that point, if anyone else has sent coordinates to be verified I will let you know. Hope that works out.
City vs. Island Options:
City Option allows you to skip the islands (pages 68-71) by finding 6 additional caches. On pages 72-75, 78 and 80 you will find more detailed maps of the Boston, Worcester and Springfield areas. You will need to log an additional cache on each of those pages that is not being counted for the larger page it is part of. (Page 73 is contained on page 41.) 56 caches in all.
The Island option allows you to minimize your urban caching by doing caches on page 68-71. This covers Nantucket, Martha’s Vineyard and the Elizabeth Islands. 54 caches in all.
FTF prizes included 12 dollars, a 125MB USB Memory stick and an UNACTIVATED, 2006 MIDWEST GEOBASH COIN! FTF was rtrdcircusbear and the chattering children. You can see their list of caches in their Massachusetts DeLorme Challenge log. They have ONLY been caching since 8/9/2006!
For follow up finders there will be a variety of items from hats to T-shirts to portfolios to what ever else I can get my hands on that seems nice enough. With the exception of geocoins, this is a take only cache, trades are not needed. Bugs and coins for the owner to move along are welcomed. Swapping of coins prior to finishing the challenge is OK, too.
Many thanks go out to Haicoole for the original idea for this cache and to the other cache owners who have taken the idea and run with it for their own states. Also, special thanks to Barefoot who set up the Connecticut Delorme Challenge and who’s rules I plagiarized heavily.
Good luck and good caching,
Last Note: Attributes are for the final cache, terrain and difficulty will vary based on the caches you do. I would love to hear what your total and average T/D ratings are for this challenge.
[If you are in the Woburn area and you want to swap for a coin in this cache, email or call me. I will arrange to meet you. You can log a note if you have not finished the DeLorme challenge.] Vg vf ng zl ubhfr, arne zl tnentr. [Not during 8-5 M-F.]