Geocachers are great at following directions right? They have to be otherwise they would never be able to find a cache. This cache is a 500ml container hidden somewhere in Bendigo.
To find it, use the image to follow the instructions. Then simply follow your GPSr to the co-ordinates as above.
Next step – follow the 40 instructions as below. There are TWO sets of detailed directions that you will need in order to find the cache. The first will appear after you complete step 21 and the second will appear after step 40. Simple. Of course, if you make just one slip up at any step along the way, the error will gradually multiply as you work down the page and all you will be left with is a line of gibberish.
The things to be careful for are – accidentally skipping an instruction, doing the same instruction twice, missing a letter when copying down a line, adding a letter when copying down a line, writing the wrong letter when copying down a line, transposing two letters when copying down a line, misreading an instruction, misinterpreting an instruction, miscounting an instruction, forgetting which instruction you are up to or arguing with your spouse or caching partners. Other than that, no problem.
Don’t forget that after you complete every instruction, there will always be 45 letters. If there is not then something has gone awry.
If you are planning on tackling this one on the fly, we suggest you take some graph paper or the like, with the numbers 1 to 45 across the top, and the numbers 1 to 40 down the left hand side. Maybe, a thermos of coffee, a snack and your favourite CD.
1. Write the six uppercase words/names from the sign (which are located in the first line directly underneath the "City of Greater Bendigo" logo and name) as one long 45 letter word ignoring spaces
2. Reverse the order of letters 19 and 20, then move them between letters 7 and 8
3. Copy letters 28 and 29 over the 2nd "D" and the letter to its right
4. Move letters 25 and 26, between letters 33 and 34
5. Replace the first "G" and the letter to each side of it with a three letter word meaning "animal doctor"
6. Exchange letter 36 with letter 45
7. Find four consecutive letters that spell the surname of a famous Hollywood actor whose first name is Richard. Replace the first three letters of this surname with the three letter first name of a famous singer whose last name is Boone but first reverse the order of these letters.
8. Replace letter 41 with the first letter of the compass direction that is the opposite of the compass direction that letter 41 is the first letter of
9. Replace letter 37 with the letter that immediately precedes in alphabetically and replace letter 38 with the letter that immediately follows that letter alphabetically then reverse the order of these two letters
10. Letter 18 is a number in Roman Numerals. Multiply that letter by II in Roman Numerals then replace letter 18 with the result in Roman Numerals
11. Replace letter 6 with the letter that immediately precedes it alphabetically and replace letter 7 with the letter that precedes letter 7 by three letters alphabetically then reverse the order of these two letters
12. Replace letter 26 with the letter that immediately follows it alphabetically and replace letter 27 with the letter that immediately precedes it alphabetically
13. Exchange the first pair of identical adjacent vowels with the first two letters of the second word that follows the six original words on the sign that you originally wrote at instruction 1
14. Replace letter 34 so it is now the same letter as letter 26 and replace letter 35 with the letter that immediately follows letter 26 alphabetically
15. Find a two letter word that would fit in the quote "To be or not to __ " and replace that word with a two letter word that would fit in the quote "Hi-Ho, __-Ho. It's off to work we go"
16. Reverse the order of letters 23 and 24
17. Replace the first "N" and the third "N" with "R"s
18. Replace the first and second "D" with an "N" and an "S" respectively
19. Replace letter 15 with a copy of the letter to its left
20. Replace all "K"s with "M"s and replace the first "I" with an "O"
21. Seven of the numerical digits from 0 to 9 are shown somewhere on the sign. Of the three digits that are omitted, replace letters 19 and 20 with the lowest and highest of these digits respectively. Note: You will be replacing letters with numbers
22. Find a two letter animal name and reverse the position of the letters
23. Find the first pair of identical adjacent letters and replace both those letters together with the letter to their immediate left with a three letter word meaning the "opposite of high"
24. Find two adjacent letters that make up a word that means "the opposite of yes" and move them to the position to the immediate right of the fifth letter "O"
25. Change letters 4, 5 & 6 so that they are identical to letters 13, 14 & 15
26. Move letter 39 between letters 36 & 37
27. Replace every pair of identical adjacent letters with the abbreviation for the American state of which Sacramento is the capital
28. Replace the first pair of non-identical adjacent vowels with two "E"s
29. Replace letters 19 and 20 with the letters that are six letters forward from each of them alphabetically, then reverse those letters
30. Locate the four letters to the right of the first "S" and replace those letters with a four letter word that describes the material found inside an hourglass
31. Replace the first "R" and the letter to its immediate right with the first two letters of the alphabet in order
32. Find the word "IT" spelled backwards and replace it with the word "OR" spelled forwards
33. Replace letters 7 and 8 with the letters that are two letters forward from each of them alphabetically
34. Replace letters 34 through 36 with a copy of the letters 16, 8 & 7 in that order
35. Replace the first "N" and the letter to its immediate right with the 1st and 37th letters as they were just after you had completed instruction 17
36. Replace the last letter "A" and the three letters to its right with a four letter word that describes a pain in your tooth, stomach or back
37. Move letter 29 between letters 32 and 33
38. Letter 3 is a number in Roman Numerals. Multiply that letter by X in Roman Numerals then replace letter 3 with the result in Roman Numerals
39. Replace every "M" that has an "O" to its immediate right with an "F"
40. Replace the number at position 21 with the number that is equal to the quantity of "T"s in the final answer and replace the number at position 22 with the number that is equal to the quantity of "C"s in the final answer