Details for Benchmark: AC6118
N 36° 46.677 W 120° 43.422 (NAD 83)
Coordinates may not be exact. Altitude is LEVELING and location is ADJUSTED. (more info)
- In FRESNO county, CA View Original Datasheet
- HPGN D CA 06 PC
- Marker Type:
- survey disk
- abutments and piers of large bridges
- Probably hold position/elevation well.
Benchmarks may be on private property or in dangerous locations. Obey local laws. By using the services on Geocaching.com you agree to this disclaimer.
||Schreddzki found AC6118
Found as described, very easy. (Good thing, this was my first logged benchmark!)
Cal-Trans Marker set in sidewalk at east end of north side of bridge. Did not find the penny the previous poster mentioned.
GU0212 is about 4 feet east of here though. A 2-bagger!
||WhistlingWind found AC6118
Found as described.
Cool find: the survey team that set this mark epoxied a penny onto the curb 1 foot west of the mark...!
[Photos:]AC6118 Fresno Co, CA
Note 1972 penny epoxied to sidewalk near bencmark
Documented History (by the NGS)
|1/1/1995 by CADT (MONUMENTED)
|DESCRIBED BY CALTRANS 1995 (RGD)
THE STATION IS LOCATED AT THE INTERSTATE HIGHWAY 5/SHIELDS AVENUE INTERCHANGE, ABOUT 53 MI (85.3 KM) WEST OF FRESNO, 20 MI (32.2 KM) SOUTH-SOUTHEAST OF LOS BANOS AND 20 MI (32.2 KM) WEST OF MENDOTA. TO REACH THE STATION FROM THE JUNCTION OF INTERSTATE 5 AND STATE HIGHWAY 165, ABOUT 8 MI (12.9 KM) SOUTH OF LOS BANOS, GO SOUTH ON INTERSTATE 5 FOR 6.3 MI (10.1 KM) TO THE MERCED/FRESNO COUNTY LINE. CONTINUE SOUTH ON INTERSTATE 5 FOR 5.9 MI (9.5 KM) TO THE SHIELDS AVENUE OFF-RAMP. TAKE THE OFF-RAMP SOUTH FOR 0.2 MI (0.3 KM) TO THE INTERSECTION WITH SHIELDS AVENUE. TURN LEFT AND GO EAST ON SHIELDS AVENUE, CROSSING OVER INTERSTATE 5, FOR 0.15 MI (0.24 KM) TO THE EAST END OF THE SHIELDS AVENUE OVERCROSSING AND THE STATION ON THE LEFT. THE STATION IS SET FLUSH IN THE SIDEWALK ON THE NORTH SIDE OF THE EAST ABUTMENT OF THE SHIELDS AVENUE OVERCROSSING, ABOUT 135 FT (41.1 M) EAST OF THE CENTERLINE OF INTERSTATE 5, 15.2 FT (4.6 M) WEST OF THE EAST END OF THE SIDEWALK AND BRIDGE RAIL, 14.3 FT (4.4 M) NORTH OF THE CENTERLINE OF SHIELDS AVENUE, 14.1 FT (4.3 M) WEST OF NGS BENCHMARK G 1074, 2.0 FT (0.6 M) EAST OF THE WEST EDGE OF THE ABUTMENT, 1.5 FT (0.5 M) SOUTH OF THE BRIDGE RAIL AND 0.7 FT (0.2 M) HIGHER THAN THE ROADWAY. THE STATION WAS OCCUPIED AS PART OF A CALIFORNIA HPGN DENSIFICATION SURVEY.
- The horizontal coordinates were established by GPS observations and adjusted by the National Geodetic Survey in January 1997. The horizontal coordinates are valid at the epoch date displayed above. The epoch date for horizontal control is a decimal equivalence of Year/Month/Day.
- The orthometric height was determined by differential leveling. The vertical network tie was performed by a horz. field party for horz. obs reductions. Reset procedures were used to establish the elevation.
- The X, Y, and Z were computed from the position and the ellipsoidal ht.
- The Laplace correction was computed from DEFLEC99 derived deflections.
- The ellipsoidal height was determined by GPS observations and is referenced to NAD 83.
- The geoid height was determined by GEOID99.