Details for Benchmark: AR0272
N 29° 56.883 W 082° 06.417 (NAD 83)
Coordinates may not be exact. Altitude is ADJUSTED and location is SCALED. (more info)
- In BRADFORD county, FL View Original Datasheet
- U 147
- Marker Type:
- bench mark disk
- massive structures
- Probably hold position/elevation well.
Benchmarks may be on private property or in dangerous locations. Obey local laws. By using the services on Geocaching.com you agree to this disclaimer.
||Skyboy01 posted a note for AR0272
I was just wondering why the previous logger was claiming a "find" when it appears from the posted log that the logger did not find the BM but that friends had. ?????? I understood that a "find" meant that the logger had actually laid eyes on the BM. Posted photos should be taken at the time of the find and by the finder. :)
||Paradise found AR0272
Went looking for this in the dark, and didn't find it. The description says 43' S of the south curb, but the mark is .9' from the corner of the building. In the meantime, the corner of the building is not more than 15 feet from the curb. I knew right then that the building had been expanded and the mark was not going to be found on the outside of the building. After checking and rechecking every possibility, we decided to give up, but I kept wondering if it could be on an inside wall somewhere, and wanted to go to the Post Office to ask about it. The next morning over breakfast, we were telling the friends we were staying with about it, and they said the Post Office had absolutely been expanded, but they know people there, so they would ask about it. I was thrilled to find out at lunch that they had been to the Post Office that morning, and the Post Master had taken them to look for it, and THEY FOUND IT! They took pictures for me, but they didn't have a digital camera with them, so I am waiting for them to mail me the photos. I will post them when I get them.
Documented History (by the NGS)
|01/01/1954 by CGS (MONUMENTED)
|01/01/1959 by NGS (GOOD)
|DESCRIBED BY NATIONAL GEODETIC SURVEY 1959
AT STARKE. AT STARKE, AT THE SOUTHEAST CORNER OF THE INTERSECTION OF NORTH WALNUT STREET AND EAST JEFFERSON STREET, 43 FEET SOUTH OF THE SOUTH CURB OF EAST JEFFERSON STREET, 74 FEET EAST OF THE EAST CURB OF NORTH WALNUT STREET, SET VERTICALLY IN THE EAST BRICK WALL OF THE MAIN PART OF THE POST OFFICE, 3.7 FEET ABOVE THE GROUND, 0.9 FOOT SOUTH OF THE NORTHEAST CORNER OF THE MAIN PART OF THE BUILDING.
|01/01/1961 by NGS (GOOD)
|RECOVERY NOTE BY NATIONAL GEODETIC SURVEY 1961
RECOVERED IN GOOD CONDITION.
- The horizontal coordinates were scaled from a topographic map and have an estimated accuracy of +/- 6 seconds.
- The orthometric height was determined by differential leveling and adjusted by the National Geodetic Survey in June 1991.
- The geoid height was determined by GEOID99.
- The dynamic height is computed by dividing the NAVD 88 geopotential number by the normal gravity value computed on the Geodetic Reference System of 1980 (GRS 80) ellipsoid at 45 degrees latitude (g = 980.6199 gals.).
- The modeled gravity was interpolated from observed gravity values.