Details for Benchmark: BM0878
N 30° 21.116 W 097° 22.298 (NAD 83)
Coordinates may not be exact. Altitude is UNKNOWN and location is ADJUSTED. (more info)
- In BASTROP county, TX View Original Datasheet
- ELGIN MUNICIPAL TANK
- Marker Type:
- elevated tank
- setting not listed - see description
Benchmarks may be on private property or in dangerous locations. Obey local laws. By using the services on Geocaching.com you agree to this disclaimer.
Documented History (by the NGS)
|01/01/1935 by CGS (FIRST OBSERVED)
|DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1935 (CAS)
THIS INTERSECTION STATION IS THE CENTER OF THE ELGIN MUNICIPAL WATER TANK. IT IS A TALL, STEEL TANK, WITH ROUND BOTTOM AND CONICAL TOP AND HAS A BALL AT THE CENTER OF THE TOP. IT IS SUPPORTED BY FOUR LEGS. THE ENTIRE STRUCTURE IS PAINTED SILVER. THE TANK IS LETTERED ELGIN ON THE N AND W SIDES NEAR THE BASE OF THE BOWL. THERE IS A PLATFORM WITH STEEL RAILING AT THE BASE OF THE BOWL. THE TANK WHICH IS ABOUT 125 FEET HIGH AND VERY PROMINENT IS ABOUT 1/4 MILE N OF THE MAIN PART OF TOWN, ABOUT 0.2 MILE S OF THE JUNCTION OF TEXAS HIGHWAYS 20 AND 95, ABOUT 200 FEET E OF TEXAS HIGHWAY 20, ABOUT 75 FEET W OF A RAILROAD, AND ABOUT 75 FEET SE OF A STREET.
- The horizontal coordinates were established by classical geodetic methods and adjusted by the National Geodetic Survey in February 1996.
- The Laplace correction was computed from DEFLEC99 derived deflections.
- The geoid height was determined by GEOID99.