Details for Benchmark: CK3581
N 32° 25.970 W 080° 37.418 (NAD 83)
Coordinates may not be exact. Altitude is SCALED and location is ADJUSTED. (more info)
- In BEAUFORT county, SC View Original Datasheet
- Marker Type:
- triangulation station disk
- set into the top of a round concrete monument
Benchmarks may be on private property or in dangerous locations. Obey local laws. By using the services on Geocaching.com you agree to this disclaimer.
Documented History (by the NGS)
|01/01/1933 by CGS (MONUMENTED)
|DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1933 (CAE)
LADY IS LOCATED ON LADIES ISLAND ABOUT ONE MILE SOUTHWEST OF THE INTERSECTION OF MORGAN RIVER AND LUCY POINT CREEK. IT IS ON A MOUND COVERED WITH SMALL TREES AND PALMETTOS, 5 METERS BACK OF HIGH WATER ON THE WEST SIDE OF LUCY POINT CREEK OPPOSITE THE SECOND BIGHT SOUTH OF MORGAN RIVER.
THE STATION IS MARKED WITH STANDARD C. AND G.S. MARKS STAMPED LADY 1933. REFERENCE MARKS ARE SET ON RANGE TO NORTHWARD OF STATION.
|01/01/1955 by CGS (GOOD)
|RECOVERY NOTE BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1955 (JEW)
THE STATION MARK AND REFERENCE MARKS 1 AND 2 WERE RECOVERED IN GOOD CONDITION. THE DISTANCES TO THE REFERENCE MARKS WERE VERIFIED. THE ORIGINAL DESCRIPTION IS INADEQUATE. A NEW DESCRIPTION FOLLOWS--
THE STATION IS LOCATED ABOUT 2.5 MI. E OF BEAUFORT, ABOUT 7000 FT. SW OF THE CONFLUENCE OF MORGAN RIVER AND LUCY POINT CREEK, AND ON THE E EDGE OF A SMALL POINT OF LAND SURROUNDED BY MARSH. IT IS 50.0 FT. W OF THE MARSH LINE, 26.3 FT. SE OF A TRIANGULAR-BLAZED 12-IN. PALM TREE, AND 24.8 FT. N OF A TRIANGULAR-BLAZED 12-IN. PALM TREE. THE STATION IS MARKED BY A STANDARD DISK, STAMPED LADY 1933 AND SET IN THE TOP OF A 12-IN. SQUARE CONCRETE MONUMENT WHICH PROJECTS 2 IN. ABOVE THE GROUND.
REFERENCE MARK 1 IS NW OF THE STATION, ON RANGE WITH REFERENCE MARK 2, 51.5 FT. NE OF A SANDY AREA, 42.0 FT. W OF A 12-IN. PALM TREE, AND ON THE E EDGE OF A CLUMP OF SMALL PALM TREES. IT IS MARKED BY A STANDARD DISK, STAMPED LADY 1 1933 AND SET IN THE TOP OF A 12-IN. SQUARE CONCRETE MONUMENT WHICH PROJECTS 1 IN. ABOVE THE GROUND.
REFERENCE MARK 2 IS NW OF THE STATION, 51.9 FT. W-NW OF A 12-IN. PALM TREE, AND 16.0 FT. SW OF A PALM TREE. IT IS MARKED BY A STANDARD DISK, STAMPED LADY 2 1933 AND SET IN THE TOP OF A 12-IN. SQUARE CONCRETE MONUMENT WHICH PROJECTS 1 IN. ABOVE THE GROUND.
TO REACH THE STATION FROM THE POST OFFICE IN BEAUFORT, PROCEED ABOUT 3 MI. S AND E ALONG U.S. HIGHWAY 21 TO ITS INTERSECTION WITH S.C. STATE HIGHWAY 802, THENCE PROCEED 0.8 MI. NE ALONG S.C. STATE HIGHWAY 802 TO A PAVED ROAD LEADING E, THENCE GO 1.5 MI. E AND N ALONG THE PAVED ROAD TO A POINT 1400 FT. W OF THE STATION SITE, THENCE PROCEED ON FOOT ACROSS A CULTIVATED FIELD.
- The North Carolina/South Carolina HARNS have been completed but, due to contractual restrictions, coordinates for these stations will NOT be published in the near future. In the interim, the published coordinates in North and South Carolina will not be consistent with the Continuously Operating Reference Stations (CORS). The HARN coordinates for these stations are available upon request. Contact Gary Thompson(919-733-3836), or Lewis Lapine(803-896-7700). In addition, the published North and South Carolina positions (NAD 83 (1986)) are NOT consistent with those determined in adjacent state readjustments. The discontinuity between stations located in North or South Carolina and those in adjacent states which have been adjusted to the HARN may be as much as 5 decimeters. This will result in a significant loss of accuracy over lines crossing such state borders.
- The horizontal coordinates were established by classical geodetic methods and adjusted by the National Geodetic Survey in July 1986.
- The orthometric height was scaled from a topographic map.
- The Laplace correction was computed from DEFLEC99 derived deflections.
- The geoid height was determined by GEOID99.