Details for Benchmark: DG0598
N 33° 47.557 W 084° 23.178 (NAD 83)
Coordinates may not be exact. Altitude is ADJUSTED and location is ADJUSTED. (more info)
- In FULTON county, GA View Original Datasheet
- N 21
- Marker Type:
- survey disk
- light structures
- Mark of questionable or unknown stability.
Benchmarks may be on private property or in dangerous locations. Obey local laws. By using the services on Geocaching.com you agree to this disclaimer.
||MariettaGecko marked DG0598 as destroyed
Went to look for the benchmark. The definition was good enough to be able to locate the benchmark, but the benchmark was no longer in place. The Fulton County/City of Atlanta DOT recently expanded the sidewalk and completely replaced the same in this area. The reconstruction seems to have resulted in the destruction of this benchmark. The ONLY other possibility is that the benchmark in question is either under the newspaper boxes or buried under the fresh concrete.
Documented History (by the NGS)
|01/01/1973 by MARTA (MONUMENTED)
|DESCRIBED BY METRO ATLANTA RTA 1973
SET A STD. MARTA BRASS DISC AT THE NE CORNER OF NE PEACHTREE AND 17TH ST.
|01/01/1973 by NGS (GOOD)
|RECOVERY NOTE BY NATIONAL GEODETIC SURVEY 1973
AT ATLANTA. A STANDARD MARTA BRASS DISK DRILLED INTO THE SIDEWALK AT THE NORTHEAST CORNER OF PEACHTREE ST., N.E. AND 17TH ST. ABOUT 2.7 MILES NORTH OF DOWNTOWN FIVE POINTS, 13.5 FEET NORTHEAST OF THE NORTHEAST CURBLINE OF PEACHTREE ST., 6.0 FEET NORTHWEST OF THE NORTHWEST CURBLINE OF 17TH ST. THE DISK IS SET FLUSH WITH THE SIDEWALK.
- The horizontal coordinates were established by classical geodetic methods and adjusted by the National Geodetic Survey in September 1997.
- The orthometric height was determined by differential leveling and adjusted by the National Geodetic Survey in June 1991.
- The Laplace correction was computed from DEFLEC99 derived deflections.
- The geoid height was determined by GEOID99.
- The dynamic height is computed by dividing the NAVD 88 geopotential number by the normal gravity value computed on the Geodetic Reference System of 1980 (GRS 80) ellipsoid at 45 degrees latitude (g = 980.6199 gals.).
- The modeled gravity was interpolated from observed gravity values.