Details for Benchmark: FA5074
N 35° 17.535 W 081° 32.918 (NAD 83)
Coordinates may not be exact. Altitude is N HEIGHT and location is ADJUSTED. (more info)
- In CLEVELAND county, NC View Original Datasheet
- Marker Type:
- horizontal control disk
- set into the top of a round concrete monument
- May hold, but of type commonly subject to surface motion.
Benchmarks may be on private property or in dangerous locations. Obey local laws. By using the services on Geocaching.com you agree to this disclaimer.
||Duck and Company found FA5074
Credit the wife with an assist on this one. She spotted a painted arrow on the road pointing to this one. It was overgrown with grass and hard to see just looking around.
Documented History (by the NGS)
|01/01/1984 by NCGS (MONUMENTED)
|DESCRIBED BY NORTH CAROLINA GEODETIC SURVEY 1984
THE STATION IS LOCATED IN SHELBY. ALONG MARION STREET (US 74 BUSINESS) FOR 0.72 KM (0.45 MI) WEST FROM THE INTERSECTION WITH NC 18 (LAFAYETTE STREET), BETWEEN THE STREET AND THE SIDEWALK, OR 0.16 KM (0.10 MI) EAST OF THOMPSON STREET. STATION IS LOCATED 6.10 M (20.01 FT) SOUTH OF THE CENTERLINE OF MARION STREET, 9.14 M (29.99 FT) WEST OF THE CENTERLINE OF A DRIVE, 13.87 M (45.51 FT) WEST-NORTHWEST OF A FIRE HYDRANT, 0.30 M (0.98 FT) NORTH OF THE NORTH EDGE OF THE SIDEWALK--AND 5.76 M (18.90 FT) WEST OF A POWER POLE, 19.02 M (62.40 FT) SOUTHEAST OF A TELEPHONE POLE, AND 17.62 M (57.81 FT) SOUTHWEST OF A TELEPHONE POLE--ALL THREE WITH REFERENCE TAGS. MARK IS FLUSH WITH GROUND AND LEVEL WITH HIGHWAY.
|03/15/1995 by USPSQD (GOOD)
|RECOVERY NOTE BY US POWER SQUADRON 1995
RECOVERED IN GOOD CONDITION.
|08/03/1998 by NCGS (GOOD)
|RECOVERY NOTE BY NORTH CAROLINA GEODETIC SURVEY 1998 (MDB)
RECOVERED AS DESCRIBED.
- The North Carolina/South Carolina HARNS have been completed but, due to contractual restrictions, coordinates for these stations will NOT be published in the near future. In the interim, the published coordinates in North and South Carolina will not be consistent with the Continuously Operating Reference Stations (CORS). The HARN coordinates for these stations are available upon request. Contact Gary Thompson(919-733-3836), or Lewis Lapine(803-896-7700). In addition, the published North and South Carolina positions (NAD 83 (1986)) are NOT consistent with those determined in adjacent state readjustments. The discontinuity between stations located in North or South Carolina and those in adjacent states which have been adjusted to the HARN may be as much as 5 decimeters. This will result in a significant loss of accuracy over lines crossing such state borders.
- The horizontal coordinates were established by classical geodetic methods and adjusted by the National Geodetic Survey in September 1992.
- The orthometric height was determined by differential leveling and adjusted by the National Geodetic Survey in July 1999. The height was determined by precise leveling from only one NSRS bench mark. This was not adequate "tie leveling" to NSRS and was allowed ONLY to validate the GPS-derived height.
- The Laplace correction was computed from DEFLEC99 derived deflections.
- The geoid height was determined by GEOID99.
- The dynamic height is computed by dividing the NAVD 88 geopotential number by the normal gravity value computed on the Geodetic Reference System of 1980 (GRS 80) ellipsoid at 45 degrees latitude (g = 980.6199 gals.).
- The modeled gravity was interpolated from observed gravity values.