Skip to Content

Details for Benchmark: FE0978

N 35° 02.933 W 089° 19.575 (NAD 83)

Altitude: 543.35

Coordinates may not be exact. Altitude is ADJUSTED and location is ADJUSTED. (more info)

Location:
In FAYETTE county, TN View Original Datasheet
Designation:
JACKSON
Marker Type:
triangulation station disk
Setting:
set into the top of a round concrete monument
Stability:
May hold, but of type commonly subject to surface motion.

Reference Points

Must Read!

Benchmarks may be on private property or in dangerous locations. Obey local laws. By using the services on Geocaching.com you agree to this disclaimer.

This mark is now on land owned by Bobby Pidgeon of Pidgeon Enterprises in Germantown Tennessee. He was kind enough to escort us to the mark when we called him and asked about it. The mark is well inside his property behind several locked fences and not generally accessable.

The to-reach is no longer valid. He has a new driveway further east that goes well back into the property. You then go cross country across a pasture to the entrance to the woods and the faint remains of a woods road to the mark.

The mark and both reference marks described in 1966 are all where they should be located, and have metal witness posts in fine shape.

[Photos:]
photoMark and witness post.
photoThe Mark
photoReference Mark 3
Sorry, I forgot to get a shot of the witness post.
photoReference Mark 1 and Witness Post
photoThe Mark

Documented History (by the NGS)

01/01/1914 by CGS (MONUMENTED)
DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1914 (EHP) ABOUT 5 MILES EAST-SOUTHEAST OF MOSCOW, ABOUT 5 MILES WEST OF LA GRANGE, ON SPARSELY WOODED HIGH GROUND OWNED BY FRANK JACKSON. IN 1914 STATION WAS DESCRIBED AS BEING ABOUT 1-1/2 MILES WEST AND 1/2 MILE SOUTH OF FORTYFIVE SWITCH OF SOUTHERN RAILWAY, ABOUT 600 METERS (1,968 FEET) SOUTH OF ITS TRACKS, ABOUT 1/4 MILE NORTH OF MITCHELL JACKSONS HOUSE, AND 200 METERS (656 FEET) SOUTH OF OLD COTTON GIN STANDING BETWEEN TWO WATERING PONDS. REFERENCE MARK NO. 1 (ESTABLISHED IN 1914) IS STANDARD REFERENCE DISK IN CONCRETE. IN 1914 IT WAS DESCRIBED AS BEING 4 METERS (13 FEET) WEST OF ROAD, 2 METERS (7 FEET) EAST OF SMALL TREE, AND 0.5 METER (2 FEET) IN ELEVATION BELOW STATION. REFERENCE MARK NO. 2 (ESTABLISHED IN 1914) IS STANDARD REFERENCE DISK IN CONCRETE, 2 METERS (7 FEET) EAST OF ROAD, 3 METERS (10 FEET) NORTHWEST OF SMALL TREE, AND 3.75 METERS (12.3 FEET) BELOW AND 60.72 METERS (199.2 FEET) FROM STATION S 55 DEG 38 MIN E.
01/01/1934 by CGS (GOOD)
RECOVERY NOTE BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1934 IN 1934 STATION WAS DESCRIBED AS BEING 0.35 MILE SOUTH OF ROUTE 57, 61-1/2 FEET WEST OF CENTER LINE OF FARM ROAD LEADING SOUTH, AND 40 FEET NORTHEAST OF 3-INCH OAK TREE. TO REACH FROM JUNCTION OF ROUTES 18 AND 57 AT LA GRANGE, GO WEST 5.0 MILES ON ROUTE 57, TURN SOUTH ONTO FARM ROAD, AND FOLLOW 0.35 MILE TO STATION SITE. SURFACE AND UNDERGROUND MARKS ARE STANDARD STATION DISKS IN CONCRETE. IN 1934 REFERENCE MARK NO. 1 WAS DESCRIBED AS BEING NEAR BASE OF LARGE SPREADING OAK TREE AND 139.09 FEET FROM STATION. IN 1934 REFERENCE MARK 2 WAS REPORTED WASHED OUT AND NEW REFERENCE MARK WAS ESTABLISHED. REFERENCE MARK NO. 2 (ESTABLISHED IN 1934) IS STANDARD REFERENCE DISK IN CONCRETE, ON TOP OF SMALL BANK, EAST OF ROAD, AND 116.59 FEET FROM STATION N 79 DEG 17 MIN E. AZIMUTH MARK (ESTABLISHED IN 1934) IS PROBABLY A STANDARD REFERENCE DISK IN CONCRETE, 35 FEET SOUTH OF CENTER LINE OF ROUTE 57, 1.0 MILE EAST OF JUNCTION WITH ABOVE-MENTIONED FARM ROAD, AND 1 MILE FROM STATION N 27 DEG 28 MIN E.
01/01/1944 by CGS (GOOD)
RECOVERY NOTE BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1944 0.1 MI S FROM MOSCOW. 0.1 MILE SOUTH ALONG A ROAD FROM THE POST OFFICE AT MOSCOW, FAYETTE COUNTY, THENCE ABOUT 4.3 MILES EAST ALONG STATE HIGHWAY 57, THENCE ABOUT 0.35 MILE SOUTH ALONG A FARM ROAD, ON THE TOP OF A HILL, 61 FEET WEST OF THE CENTERLINE OF THE ROAD, AND IN A SMALL CLUMP OF BUSHES. A STANDARD TRIANGULATION-STATION DISK, STAMPED JACKSON 1934 AND SET IN THE TOP OF A CONCRETE POST. NOTE-- THE STATION MARK WAS FOUND TO BE STAMPED JACKSON 1914 INSTEAD OF JACKSON 1934 AS PREVIOUSLY DESCRIBED. THE STATION WAS RECOVERED AND DESCRIBED BY TRIANGULATION PARTY.
01/01/1966 by CGS (GOOD)
RECOVERY NOTE BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1966 (LMC) THE STATION MARK AND REFERENCE MARK 1 WERE RECOVERED AND FOUND TO BE IN GOOD CONDITION. THE DISK HAS BEEN BATTERED ON REFERENCE MARK 1 AND THE STAMPING IS LEGIBLE EXCEPT FOR REF. OR RM ON THE DISK. NO OLD DATA WAS FURNISHED WITH THIS STATION AT THIS TIME AND NO WAY OF CHECKING THE STAMPING. THE DISTANCE TO REFERENCE MARK 1 WAS FOUND TO BE 0.3 FOOT SHORTER. REFERENCE MARK 2 WAS FOUND TO HAVE BEEN DESTROYED. THE AZIMUTH MARK WAS NOT RECOVERED AND IS BELIEVED TO HAVE BEEN DESTROYED DUE TO ROAD CONSTRUCTION. REFERENCE MARK 3 WAS ESTABLISHED AT THIS TIME. THE FOLLOWING IS A COMPLETE NEW DESCRIPTION- STATION IS ABOUT 8 MILES WEST OF GRAND JUNCTION, 4 MILES EAST OF MOSCOW, 3-1/2 MILES NORTH OF THE TENNESSEE-MISSISSIPPI STATE LINE, 2 1/2 MILES WEST OF LA GRANGE, ON THE HIGHEST POINT OF A SPARSELY WOODED AREA AND ON PROPERTY OWNED BY MR. R.J. TACKER. TO REACH THE STATION FROM THE POST OFFICE IN LA GRANGE, GO WEST ON STATE HIGHWAY 57 FOR 4.05 MILES TO THE 45 BAPTIST CHURCH ON THE LEFT. CONTINUE WEST ON STATE HIGHWAY 57 FOR 0.7 MILE TO A RED BRICK HOUSE AND DRIVEWAY ON THE LEFT. TURN LEFT AND GO SOUTH ON THE DRIVEWAY PASSING TO THE WEST OF THE HOUSE FOR 0.05 MILE TO A RED BARN ON THE RIGHT AND A SMALL WHITE HOUSE ON THE LEFT. CONTINUE SOUTH ON A LANE PASSING BETWEEN THE HOUSE AND BARN FOR ABOUT 100 FEET TO A FORK AND A WIRE GATE ON THE RIGHT. TAKE THE RIGHT FORK, PASS THROUGH THE GATE AND GO WEST ON A TRACK ROAD AND FOLLOW ALONG THE SOUTH SIDE OF A FENCE FOR 0.35 MILE TO A POINT WHERE THE ROAD CURVES SHARP TO THE SOUTH. TURN SHARP LEFT AND GO SOUTHERLY UPHILL ON A TRACK ROAD FOR 0.25 MILE TO THE STATION ON THE RIGHT. STATION MARK, A STANDARD DISK STAMPED JACKSON 1914, IS SET IN THE TOP OF A 12 INCH SQUARE CONCRETE MONUMENT WHICH PROJECTS 2 INCHES. IT IS 71 FEET WEST OF THE CENTER OF A TRACK ROAD, 13 FEET NORTH OF A 10 INCH OAK TREE WITH A TRIANGULAR BLAZE ON THE NORTH SIDE, 12 FEET EAST OF AN 8 INCH CEDAR TREE AND 1.7 FEET NORTH OF A METAL WITNESS POST. REFERENCE MARK NO. 1, A STANDARD DISK STAMPED JACKSON NO 1 1934, IS SET IN THE TOP OF A 12 INCH SQUARE CONCRETE MONUMENT WHICH PROJECTS 2 INCHES. IT IS 27 FEET WEST OF THE CENTER OF THE TRACK ROAD, 13 FEET EAST OF AN 8 INCH CEDAR TREE AND 1.8 FEET SOUTH OF A METAL WITNESS POST. REFERENCE MARK NO. 3, A STANDARD DISK STAMPED JACKSON 1914 NO 3 1966, IS SET IN THE TOP OF A 12 INCH CYLINDRICAL CONCRETE MONUMENT WHICH PROJECTS 4 INCHES. IT IS 62 FEET EAST OF A 12 INCH TWIN TRUNKED PINE TREE, 42 FEET SOUTHEAST OF A 24 INCH OAK TREE, 37 FEET NORTHWEST OF A 10 INCH OAK TREE AND 1.5 FEET NORTH OF A METAL WITNESS POST. NO SUITABLE PLACE WAS FOUND FOR AN AZIMUTH MARK AT THIS TIME. HEIGHT OF LIGHT ABOVE STATION MARK 22 METERS.
01/01/1966 by CGS (GOOD)
RECOVERY NOTE BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1966 RECOVERED IN GOOD CONDITION.

Control Text

  • The horizontal coordinates were established by classical geodetic methods and adjusted by the National Geodetic Survey in April 1999.
  • The orthometric height was determined by differential leveling and adjusted by the National Geodetic Survey in June 1991.
  • The Laplace correction was computed from DEFLEC99 derived deflections.
  • The geoid height was determined by GEOID99.
  • The dynamic height is computed by dividing the NAVD 88 geopotential number by the normal gravity value computed on the Geodetic Reference System of 1980 (GRS 80) ellipsoid at 45 degrees latitude (g = 980.6199 gals.).
  • The modeled gravity was interpolated from observed gravity values.

Advertising with Us

Return to the Top of the Page