Details for Benchmark: FH1004
N 35° 23.399 W 094° 25.592 (NAD 83)
Coordinates may not be exact. Altitude is UNKNOWN and location is ADJUSTED. (more info)
- In SEBASTIAN county, AR View Original Datasheet
- FORT SMITH CIT FIRE ASSN TANK
- Marker Type:
- setting not listed - see description
Benchmarks may be on private property or in dangerous locations. Obey local laws. By using the services on Geocaching.com you agree to this disclaimer.
Documented History (by the NGS)
|01/01/1935 by CGS (FIRST OBSERVED)
|DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1935 (CAS)
THIS INTERSECTION STATION IS THE CENTER OF THE WATER TANK WHICH IS USED FOR THE SPRINKLER SYSTEM OF THE CITIZENS FIRE PROTECTIVE ASSOCIATION. IT IS A TALL STEEL TANK WITH ROUND BOTTOM AND CONICAL TOP AND HAS A BALL AT THE CENTER OF THE TOP. IT IS SUPPORTED BY FOUR LEGS. THE ENTIRE STRUCTURE IS PAINTED BLACK. THE TANK IS ABOUT 135 FEET HIGH AND IS ONE OF THE MOST PROMINENT OBJECTS IN TOWN. IT WAS ERECTED ABOUT 1910.
THE TANK IS IN THE BUSINESS SECTION OF FORT SMITH, NEAR THE CENTER OF THE BLOCK BETWEEN N THIRD STREET ON NW, N FOURTH STREET ON SE, N B STREET ON NE, AND N A STREET, ON SW, N A STREET IS ONE BLOCK NE OF THE MAIN STREET OF TOWN. THE TANK IS ABOUT 35 FEET NW OF THE ALLEY BETWEEN THIRD STREET AND FOURTH STREET AND ABOUT 125 FEET NE OF N A STREET.
- The horizontal coordinates were established by classical geodetic methods and adjusted by the National Geodetic Survey in September 1999.
- The Laplace correction was computed from DEFLEC99 derived deflections.
- The geoid height was determined by GEOID99.