Details for Benchmark: FV0898
N 35° 10.258 W 120° 45.361 (NAD 83)
Coordinates may not be exact. Altitude is ADJUSTED and location is ADJUSTED. (more info)
- In SAN LUIS OBISPO county, CA View Original Datasheet
- 941 2110 TIDAL 6
- Marker Type:
- bench mark disk
- in rock outcrop
- Most reliable and expected to hold position/elevation well.
Benchmarks may be on private property or in dangerous locations. Obey local laws. By using the services on Geocaching.com you agree to this disclaimer.
Documented History (by the NGS)
|1/1/1936 by CGS (MONUMENTED)
|1/1/1956 by NGS (GOOD)
|DESCRIBED BY NATIONAL GEODETIC SURVEY 1956
1.6 MI SW FROM AVILA. 1.6 MILES SOUTHWEST ALONG A ROAD WHICH FOLLOWS THE BEACH FROM THE POST OFFICE AT AVILA, AT THE OLD SOUTHERN PACIFIC COMPANY RAILROAD PIER (NOW BEING USED BY FISHING BOATS), 351 FEET SOUTH FROM THE NORTH END OF THE PIER, IN THE TOP OF A LARGE OUTCROPING BOULDER, 3.8 FEET SOUTHWEST OF THE SOUTHWEST EDGE OF THE PIER, 2.8 FEET SOUTH OF TIDAL B.M. 2 (A CHISELED SQUARE), AND ABOUT 1 1/2 FEET LOWER THAN THE TOP OF THE PIER.
|1/1/1957 by NGS (GOOD)
|RECOVERY NOTE BY NATIONAL GEODETIC SURVEY 1957
RECOVERED IN GOOD CONDITION.
|1/1/1977 by NGS (GOOD)
|RECOVERY NOTE BY NATIONAL GEODETIC SURVEY 1977
0.1 MILE NORTH ALONG SAN MIGUEL STREET FROM THE POST OFFICE AT AVILA, THENCE 1.7 MILES SOUTHWEST ALONG AVILA ROAD TO PORT SAN LUIS, AT THE INSHORE END OF THE PORT SAN LUIS WHARF, SET IN THE TOP OF A ROCK OUTCROP, 55 FEET NORTHEAST OF THE NORTH GUY POLE OF THE MOST NORTHERN ONE OF TWO FISHING DOCKS, 19 FEET SOUTH SOUTHEAST OF A FIRE HYDRANT AT THE NORTHWEST CORNER OF THE PIER, 8 FEET SOUTHWEST OF THE SOUTHWEST EDGE OF THE PIER, 5 FEET NORTHWEST OF THE SOUTHEAST EDGE OF THE ROCK OUTCROP.
|2/13/1989 by NGS (GOOD)
|RECOVERY NOTE BY NATIONAL GEODETIC SURVEY 1989
RECOVERED IN GOOD CONDITION.
|4/15/1998 by NGS (GOOD)
|RECOVERY NOTE BY NATIONAL GEODETIC SURVEY 1998 (CSM)
THE STATION IS LOCATED ON THE PACIFIC COAST, ABOUT 2.33 KM (1.45 MI) WEST-SOUTHWEST OF AVILA BEACH, NEAR THE WEST CORNER OF THE NORTHWEST END OF HARFORD PIER (PIER 3), AT THE SOUTHWEST END OF A 12-INCH WOOD BEAM RUNNING UNDER THE PIER AND SUPPORTING A DIESEL FUEL SHUT OFF VALVE WITH RED SIGN. OWNERSHIP--PORT SAN LUIS HARBOR DISTRICT, PO BOX 249, PIER NUMBER 3, AVILA BEACH CA 93424. PORT OPERATIONS MANAGER IS JOHN C. DORNELLAS, HARBOR MANAGER IS JAY ELDER, PHONE 805-595-5400 OR FAX 595-5404. TO REACH THE STATION FROM THE JUNCTION OF AVILA BEACH DR AND FRONT ST NEAR THE WEST END OF AVILA BEACH, GO SOUTHWESTERLY FOR 2.33 KM (1.45 MI) ON AVILA BEACH DR TO THE NORTHWEST END OF THE PORT SAN LUIS PIER/HARFORD PIER AND THE STATION ON THE RIGHT, IN THE ROCKS. LOCATED 8.1 M (26.6 FT) SOUTHEAST OF THE SOUTH-SOUTHWEST 1 OF 2 FIRE HYDRANTS, 3.7 M (12.1 FT) EAST OF THE EAST CURB OF SOUTH PARKING LOT, 2.9 M (9.5 FT) SOUTH-SOUTHEAST OF A 12 FT (3.7 M) TALL UTILITY POLE AND VENT PIPE, 2.4 M (7.9 FT) SOUTHWEST OF THE SOUTHWEST EDGE OF THE PIER, 1.6 M (5.2 FT) NORTHWEST OF THE SOUTHEAST EDGE OF THE ROCK OUTCROP, 0.35 M (1.15 FT) SOUTHWEST OF THE SOUTHWEST END OF THE WOOD BEAM, ABOUT 0.6 M (2.0 FT) BELOW THE PIER LEVEL AND FLUSH WITH THE TOP OF THE ROCK.
- ITRF positions are available for this station. The horizontal coordinates were established by GPS observations and adjusted by the National Geodetic Survey in April 2000. This is a SPECIAL STATUS position. See SPECIAL STATUS under the DATUM ITEM on the data sheet items page. The horizontal coordinates are valid at the epoch date displayed above. The epoch date for horizontal control is a decimal equivalence of Year/Month/Day.
- The orthometric height was determined by differential leveling and adjusted by the National Geodetic Survey in June 1991.
- This Tidal Bench Mark is designated as VM 945 by the Center for Operational Oceanographic Products and Services.
- The X, Y, and Z were computed from the position and the ellipsoidal ht.
- The Laplace correction was computed from DEFLEC99 derived deflections.
- The ellipsoidal height was determined by GPS observations and is referenced to NAD 83.
- The geoid height was determined by GEOID99.
- The dynamic height is computed by dividing the NAVD 88 geopotential number by the normal gravity value computed on the Geodetic Reference System of 1980 (GRS 80) ellipsoid at 45 degrees latitude (G = 980.6199 gals.).
- The modeled gravity was interpolated from observed gravity values.