Details for Benchmark: GF0895
N 36° 32.850 W 093° 32.766 (NAD 83)
Coordinates may not be exact. Altitude is SCALED and location is ADJUSTED. (more info)
- In STONE county, MO View Original Datasheet
- PILOT KNOB LOT
- Marker Type:
- survey disk
- set into the top of a round concrete monument
- May hold, but of type commonly subject to surface motion.
Benchmarks may be on private property or in dangerous locations. Obey local laws. By using the services on Geocaching.com you agree to this disclaimer.
Documented History (by the NGS)
|01/01/1961 by USE (MONUMENTED)
|DESCRIBED BY US ENGINEERS 1961 (BRB)
THE STATION IS ABOUT 5-3/4 MILES SOUTH AND 5 MILES EAST OF SHELL KNOB, ABOUT 2 MILES EAST AND 1-3/4 MILES SOUTH OF VIOLA, ON A HILL KNOWN LOCALLY AS PILOT KNOB, IN THE SOUTHWEST 1/4 OF SEC. 4, T. 21 N., R. 24 W., AND ON THE PROPERTY OF THE STATE CONSERVATION COMMISSION. IT IS A STANDARD U.S. ENGINEER DEPARTMENT DISK STAMPED PILOT KNOB 1942 SET UNDER THE CENTER OF THE PILOT KNOB LOOKOUT TOWER IN A CONCRETE POST THAT IS 6 INCHES IN DIAMETER AND PROJECTS 2 INCHES.
TO REACH FROM THE BAPTIST CHURCH IN VIOLA, GO SOUTHERLY ON STATE HIGHWAY 39 FOR 1.7 MILES TO A SIDE ROAD LEFT. TURN LEFT AND GO EASTERLY ON COUNTY ROAD H FOR 1.8 MILES TO A SIDE ROAD RIGHT. TURN RIGHT AND GO SOUTHERLY ON A NARROW GRADED ROAD FOR 0.5 MILE TO THE TOP OF A STEEP HILL AND THE LOOKOUT TOWER AND THE STATION.
A TRAVERSE CONNECTION WAS MADE FROM TRIANGULATION STATION PILOT KNOB, THE DISTANCE BEING 81.95 FEET AND 24.9776 METERS.
THE LOOKOUT IS A FOUR LEGGED STEEL STRUCTURE WITH A METAL OBSERVATION ROOM AT THE TOP. THE OVERALL HEIGHT IS APPROXIMATELY 60 FEET.
- The horizontal coordinates were established by classical geodetic methods and adjusted by the National Geodetic Survey in February 2000.
- The orthometric height was scaled from a topographic map.
- The Laplace correction was computed from DEFLEC99 derived deflections.
- The geoid height was determined by GEOID99.