Details for Benchmark: HO0151
N 37° 12.650 W 112° 56.667 (NAD 83)
Coordinates may not be exact. Altitude is ADJUSTED and location is SCALED. (more info)
- In WASHINGTON county, UT View Original Datasheet
- H 4
- Marker Type:
- survey disk
- light structures
- Mark of questionable or unknown stability.
Benchmarks may be on private property or in dangerous locations. Obey local laws. By using the services on Geocaching.com you agree to this disclaimer.
||Me & Bucky found HO0151
Bench Mark H 4 was recovered as described, in good condition. Not able to confirm the coordinates given.
||2oldfarts (the rockhounders) found HO0151
Still in the sidewalk at window #2. Just jumped out of the truck, got the picture and jumped back in and away we went.
Had another oldfart as an accomplice!
[Photos:]H 4 at window #2 in the Zion tunnel
||Goat Haunt found HO0151
Disk located on station in good condition.
||Rye Brye found HO0151
Long story: We were running down the tunnel late at night after we decided not to do Pine Creek Canyon because it was too wet. Why were we running down the tunnel? Well - it's not that stupid - we had a car drive slowly behind us as we ran to block other cars from ramming us and to give us more light than our headlamps provided. Dodging into each of the galleries as we ran, we found this benchmark. I shot a picture of it and kept on running.
It's kind of a shame that you can't get out and look at the view from these galleries anymore - that's what they were designed for (in addition to ventilation). Oh well. I guess I wouldn't want to be stuck behind traffic of people constantly getting into and out of the galleries, so such is life.
If you ever want to find it, just go at night - we only had a few cars buzz by us.
[Photos:]H4 - Benchmark in the tunnel
Documented History (by the NGS)
|01/01/1931 by USGS (MONUMENTED)
|DESCRIBED BY US GEOLOGICAL SURVEY 1931
10.0 MI NE FROM ROCKVILLE. 10.0 MILES NORTHEAST ALONG STATE HIGHWAY 15 FROM ROCKVILLE, WASHINGTON COUNTY, AT THE ZION HIGHWAY TUNNEL, AT WINDOW 2 FROM THE EAST PORTAL, AND IN THE CENTER OF THE TOP OF THE CONCRETE SIDEWALK. A UNITED STATES GEOLOGICAL SURVEY STANDARD DISK, STAMPED H 4 1931 5036.
|01/01/1982 by NGS (GOOD)
|RECOVERY NOTE BY NATIONAL GEODETIC SURVEY 1982
RECOVERED IN GOOD CONDITION. NEW DESCRIPTION FOLLOWS. 11.0 KM (6.85 MI) EAST ALONG STATE HIGHWAY 9 FROM THE CHURCH OF LATTER DAY SAINTS IN SPRINGDALE, IN THE TOP CENTER OF THE SIDEWALK IN THE FOURTH TUNNEL WINDOW EAST OF THE WEST ENTRANCE, 7.9 METERS (26 FT) NORTH OF THE HIGHWAY CENTERLINE. THE MARK IS 0.15 M ABOVE THE HIGHWAY.
- The horizontal coordinates were scaled from a topographic map and have an estimated accuracy of +/- 6 seconds.
- The orthometric height was determined by differential leveling and adjusted by the National Geodetic Survey in June 1991.
- The geoid height was determined by GEOID99.
- The dynamic height is computed by dividing the NAVD 88 geopotential number by the normal gravity value computed on the Geodetic Reference System of 1980 (GRS 80) ellipsoid at 45 degrees latitude (G = 980.6199 gals.).
- The modeled gravity was interpolated from observed gravity values.