Details for Benchmark: HS1953
N 37° 06.767 W 120° 35.300 (NAD 83)
Coordinates may not be exact. Altitude is VERTCON and location is SCALED. (more info)
- In MERCED county, CA View Original Datasheet
- W 990 CADWR
- Marker Type:
- survey disk
- massive structures
- Probably hold position/elevation well.
Benchmarks may be on private property or in dangerous locations. Obey local laws. By using the services on Geocaching.com you agree to this disclaimer.
||Wintertime posted a note for HS1953
This page on the USGS website has a photo showing how much W 990 CADWR dropped in elevation between 1965 and 2013 due to land subsidence in the San Joaquin Valley:
Documented History (by the NGS)
|Unknown by CADWR (MONUMENTED)
|01/01/1965 by NGS (GOOD)
|DESCRIBED BY NATIONAL GEODETIC SURVEY 1965
7 MI NW FROM RED TOP. 1.65 MILES SOUTHWEST ALONG STATE HIGHWAY 152 FROM THE POST OFFICE AT RED TOP, THENCE 3.65 MILES NORTHWEST ALONG THE NORTHEAST LEVEE ROAD OF THE EASTSIDE BYPASS CANAL, THENCE 1.65 MILES WEST ALONG WASHINGTON ROAD, IN THE TOP OF THE WEST END OF THE SOUTH CONCRETE CURB OF A BRIDGE OVER MARIPOSA BYPASS, 10 FEET SOUTH OF THE CENTER LINE OF THE ROAD, 1.5 FEET EAST OF THE WEST END OF THE CURB, AND ABOUT 1 FOOT HIGHER THAN THE ROAD.
- The horizontal coordinates were scaled from a topographic map and have an estimated accuracy of +/- 6 seconds.
- The NAVD 88 height was computed by applying the VERTCON shift value to the NGVD 29 height (displayed under SUPERSEDED SURVEY CONTROL.) The vertical order pertains to the superseded datum.
- The geoid height was determined by GEOID99.